Y pipe Question for ya Zabteck...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Griffith 2

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a y-pipe, will it bolt on to my system? I have flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust exiting the side. (pics in library) I noticed the note on your site that says it won't bolt on to a 2.25 pipe. I'm not sure what the size is on mine.. Does this mean the y-pipe won't work with my setup, or is there something I can get to make it work? Also, would you recommend getting a new set of gaskets or will the ones on there work?...

Thanks in advance for any help..

Last edited by a moderator:
Griff, if you have the stock main converters in place, it will bolt right in. As far as the gasket that goes between the y-pipe and main converters. Get a new one for peace of mind.

Thanks so much Eddie.. Where does the pipe change diameter at? If the y-pipe is 2.5 and stock is 2.25?? What is the most noticeable gain from this mod?

Eddie, thanks for the help. :D

Eddie is correct on everything. As long as you still have your stock cat the y-pipe will bolt right up.

I would recommend the flat gasket that goes between the y-pipe and cat. You may also want new studs that attach the y-pipe to the manifold but this is up to you. If you can get yours out without breaking them they are reusable. These are not cheap since they come from the dealer.

I can sell you the y-pipe, and gasket for $340 shipped. The studs are $15 each and you would need 4 if replacing all.

Thanks for your interest.

George

Griff,

The gains from the mod is you are removing 2 cats in the system, this allows for a lower exhaust tone, little louder and more exhaust air flow for more torque and power...

The pricing of the bolts and gaskets is on our site..

http://www.zabteck.com/randomtech.htm

Now will removing the 2 cats throw obd2 errors? To borrow a quote from a great movie, "I gots to know".

If it does, there is the OBD2 bypass--only illegal if found lol--and I am looking to upgrade my exhaust...the cats look like crap and the rust just looks like crap.

Kevin,

The new Y-pipe has the bung to attach the existing oxygen sensors so you will be fine. The high flow cat also accepts the oxygen sensor. The y-pipe removes the 2 smaller pre-cats. You still have the 2 large regular cats. If you get the high flow cat it replaces the 2 cats with 1 high flowing cat.

George