XM radio problem.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Poole

Reaction score
I have had my XM radio roady for about 18 months and love it, but I have run into a problem. When I turn my XM on, I get a lot of no signal indicators on the screen, or if I do get a signal it is weak. I am using the wireless FM modulator. I believe that either the antanna is failing or the FM modulator. Anybody else run into this problem out there in MYST land? I would like to find out for sure rather than play musical components and hope I replace the right part.

Thanks and have a good one

Bob[Broken External Image]:

I'd rather have no signal than listen to Debbie Gibson...

No signal/weak signal can be caused by either a bad antenna wire or poor signal coming to the antenna. You will also get this if you have an obstructed view towards the south. How is the antenna mounted on your rig?

Hi Nelson, As far as Debbie goes...that happened to be playing when I took the picture.:lol:

the antanna is mounted on the roof of the truck, with the wire going through the 3rd brakelight. the Antanna is about 1 foot in front of the 3rd brake light.

Thanks and have a good one

Bob

Sounds like you may have accidentally crimped the cable, since it looks like the interior connection is secure (by the photo you provided). You may try checking the wire for damage at the point where tthe center taillight presses down on it. The sun may also have caused the insulation on the wire to deteriorate. Just some ideas -- it could be just a dirty contact at the receiver end. Good luck!

[Broken External Image]:

I would check all your connections very well. As well as where the wire is run. Sounds to me that you may have a partial short or open in one of the antenna wires.

Also, there are HUNDREDS of forums out there on Satellite Radios. I would find one that looks good and post your question there. You may have a simple fix that we are not aware of where they may have a quick and immediate answer to.

I bought a Sirius unit in December and after two months I started having the same problems, I messed with the antenna and other connections for a long time and customer service told me the unit was defective, that they have been having those problems recently. I know they are not the same brand, but it's the same concept.

I would suggest you play with your connections first (which you proably already done because you are asking the question), if that doesn't help, go buy another unit and hook it up to your old connection. If it works, you had a faulty unit (hehe) if it doesn't work, replace all your wiring and see if your old one works on that. You can always return the new one. If the new one works and the old one doesn't, you have a new unit and the old one has proably lived past it's life expectancy anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once lost the signal on one car. I turned out that the antenna was at fault. apparently damaged after going through a car wash.

Well I have ordered a new antenna...actually a whole setup through ebay. was cheaper than buying an antenna. go figure......you can find a roady2 complete from $25 to $39. an an antenna runs about $30.:huh:

Y'all have a good one

Bob

Latest posts