XM Direct Smart Digital Adapter to factory radio?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Has anyone used the XM Direct Smart Digital Adapter to add XM to their factory Ford radio?

Any other advice / method that would work better for getting XM?

I have a Ford AM/FM/CDX6 MP3 Radio in my '07 SportTrac.

Thanks

I have this XM adapter, I bought the alpine 9857 cd reciever as well. the original head unit was nice but the difference in sound was very noticible just by changing the head unit. I swapped out the head unit and speakers 3 days after I recieved my 07 st 2 weeks ago and it was worth it, the stock system is nice but I can say there was no comparison with aftermarket. I would have stopped there but since I had already bought an amplifier I added that as well. I would recommend changing the head unit regardless. the improved sound quality and the ability of the text to be displayed will more than justify it.

good luck,

Well-- this adapter says that it allows XM text to be displayed by the factory radio's display, and I have the Audiophile stereo with subwoofer that does OK for me sound-wise (I am getting old and probably don't hear as well as you young 'uns (seriously).

The text display on the factory radio seemed attractive to me, and it doesn't cost that much. That is why I am wondering about it.

Sorry-- I don't mean to come across argumentative here. I do appreciate your comments about your experiences and your recommendations. Thanks Axxman!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gavin,

I took another look, and you may be right. I would suggest giving crutchfield a call or send them an email. they are VERY knowledgable about what works. I have been using them for over 15 years.

one thing I can suggest to save you a little hassle, the antenna for the satillite for me works fine on my dashboard. (you can see it in one of my pics) the directions and everyone will tell you it needs to be on the roof. but I just put it on the dashboard and it works fine here in Atlanta.

My friend has that premium ford radio in her mustang and I agree it does sound good.

Anyhow I hope it works for you, but if you decide to go whole hog like me, just let me know if you need any install advice. I have had my dashboard apart 6 times since I got my 07 2 weeks ago.

OOOO I do have one tip if you do install that xm unit. an easy way to get to things is to open the glovebox then press the side tabs in and then the door flops down giving you a nice big hole into the dash.

Make sure you get the dashboard disassembly instructions from crutchfield, it will save you time.

cheers,

The Critchfield rep will tell you that this product WILL work with your 07 Audiophile 6CD changer/MP3 radio but you will NOT be able to utilize your radio controls to change the channels for the XM satellite. This product comes with a wireless remote control for changing the channels. The 07 has a new radio in it and noone has made a wiring harness interface yet that will allow you to input the satellite radio signal into the radio so that your controls will work. Talk to Pat Freeman on this site and he will tell you. He bought the kit but it would not work on the 07. This propduct will; work but not integrally to the radio. You put the radio on a preset FM channel and you get the XM signal through that channel.

Latest posts