Xcal Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M 2

Reaction score
Not sure what category to put this question in... and it's probably a pretty dumb question to those in the know, but I'll ask anyway...

I've thought of purchasing an Xcal for a while now, but have concerns about shortening the life of the vehicle. Does using a performance tune or torque tune put additional stress on the engine and/or tranny (or any other parts for that matter)?

Just curious and interested in everyone's viewpoints.

The xcal will not do any thing adverse to the ST, if any thing it will lengthen the life of the transmission by reducing slip thus lowering temperatures...

the extra HP you gain will do nothing to the trucks drivetrain....

Just run the right gas for the right tune..

Todd Z

The only thing that I can see "shortening" the life of your ST and it's components is the way you'll drive after you feel the gains with the xcal.

Already installed was my high flow muffler, k&n open air intake, and zabteck tb before I picked up my xcal. Really brought the mods together and made my st even more of a pleasure to drive.

I agree that the xcal can actually extend the life of your st, as it helps the trac to run more efficiently. Try emailing site sponsor Torrie at unleashed tuning to help address any other concerns you might have regarding the xcal...cool guy to deal with.

A programmer will not harm or shorten the life of the engine as long as the tune is done by someone that knows what they are doing. The factory tune for the ST or most vehicles for that matter is very conservative for a number of reasons.

When you see a vehicle come from the factory and they request you use 93 octane fuel it is because they come with the engine already tuned a little more aggressively and to reach the advertised numbers and performance you will need the 93 octane fuel. That is also why you won't usually see as big of gains from a tuner on these vehicles as with the other vehicles.

+1 to Todd

You will wonder how you ever put up with Fords transmission schemes after 1 day of driving with an Xcal tuned truck.

Latest posts