Wow... Those brake pads sucked

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Just had my oil changed and the pads I installed in September 2014 are shot. They were Raybestos PGD833C Professional Grade Ceramic pads. Less than 20,000 miles on them. It's not my driving, because I typically get 50,000 miles out of a set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always had great results using the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. I've used them on both my Tracs and put them on the wife's 300M Specail before we got the Lexus IS350 (on which I also put ThermoQuiets) Did you contact Raybestos about this? It's possible there was a bad batch. Chances are you don't have the packaging any more though to give them the required information.

My ex wore out a set of advances' premium plat ceramics in less than 40K. This was on a '08 escape. She drives normal compared to me. Then again maybe not, she dont stop at signs, I do. I wont run ceramics myself. Too hard on the rotors. I like carbon mettalics.

You know, I got better mileage out of the cheap-assed generic Chinese pads that they throw in if you buy a pair of rotors on eBay.

Mark,

I agree with that. IMO, the only good about ceramics is low dust.

They are not recomended for towing or mountain driving. Many I know that has used them around here. It ground their rotors thickness down to replacment. Especialy some of the oem type rotors are soft castings..

I gauged my ex's rotors after those adv plat ceramic pads. They were almost at the minumum. She didnt have the $$ for replacement rotors. So I threw a set of cheap AZ pads' on it. Told her to save some $$$. Advance talk her into the plat level pads.

I will do what I can for her, within reason. She has to buy the parts. But she recently was out $300 for plugs on the 3.0L V6 DOHC. I didnt feel like tearing the top of the motor down for the 3 rear plugs. The bottom of the upper intake was 3/8" from the top of coils. I think Ford is the only one folding the upper over the top. The gen2 4.0L trac has the same look. But the plugs arent' under it Now her front crank seal leaks bad. I told her not me on that either...LOL

Well.... I was wrong. Or should I say the Ford service tech was wrong. I settled in to do a front brake job and took off the left front wheel. The tech said there was 3 mm of pad left. There's actually 5 or 6 mm of pad left. It's 3 mm to the squeal clip. Those brake pads are only HALF used up. So I reinstalled the wheel and chalked it up as, "Don't blindly trust the tech."

No where near worn out...

0fd01221ea30ee8372e23596980ea135.jpg

I agree that there's a lot of pad left but why do you blame a Tech for calling out the pads with 3mm left to the wear indicator clip when that's exactly what you found also? You'll have a squeal once the indicator contacts the rotor and unless you cut it off then it would be annoying to keep driving it. The Tech has to go by the intended design of the pad.

Latest posts