Wiring Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
is there a way to wire the fog lights to the side markers so that when you lock the doors with the FOB remote that not only would the side markers flash but the fogs would flash as well.

our 2004 navigator does this

Last edited by a moderator:
Arturo,

I can probably be done but it would not be just a simple wiring job. The Navigator has a logic ciruit that controls the fog lights flashing with the sidemarkers. Any attempts to just wire the two together would make the fogs come on with your sidemarkers and the wiring is probably not heavy enough to handle the load of the fog lights. It is possible to casscade relays to make a crude logic unit but not really worth the effort.

Your best bet might be to find a wiring diagram of the Navigator and see perhaps if that logic unit that controls the fogs/side markers when the security system is armed/disarmed and see if it can be adapted to fit your Sport Trac?

I'm sure it looks cool, but frankly I don't personally think it's worth the time or trouble to make your Sport Trac do the same as the Navigator.

...Rich

I understand. it does seem pretty complex. but if its possible in any way i wouldnt mind if the fogs came on when the side markers were switched on. during the day i drive with my side markers on and my fogs on.

You can do it , IT would just require a relay and some wiring and a new fuse holder....

Todd Z

Todd,

I'm not sure you can do it with just a single relay...Can you provide a simple wiring diagram to do this?

...Rich

I did this with my aftermarket fogs using 1 relay.

Power from battery to relay, trigger wire from positive side of parking lamp, ground and switch.

With this setup my fogs were always on anytime my parking lights were on as long as the aux switch was on.. the aux switch was pretty much always on. I wired it this way so I could override and have them off if I wanted, also I couldn't forget and leave them on since they were tied into the factory headlight switch also..

Rich, a 30A bosh relay will work just fine... Obviously a touch more is required But this a drawing i had from a while ago....

Change HID to FOGS and you can run 2 wires or 1 and slpice.... JUST use 12Ga wire and 30A fuse at the battery and 14 GA to each light.... also I NORMALLY don't like switching the + side of a relay but thats what you have to do from the running light circuit for this mod....

P.S we did this on Pauls truck to ADD fogs to it as it had none.....

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, you might not need to do any work at all.

On my 2002, if I leave the "Fog Light" button pressed in (with the lights off) when I press the key fob lock button, or unlock, both the normal lights & the fog lights flash.

Unpress the fog light button, and only the normal lights flash.

Or am I missing something here??

Todd,

Your cirucuit forces the fog lights on anytime the corner lights are on? Of course that will flash the fogs when the security system flashes the corner lights, but it will also mean the fog lights are on any time the corner lights are on, which is when ever the headlights are on. I don't think that's what Arturo wants?

You need to separate the corner light power so that you only get the signal from the Security unit...and I think that may be built into the security or light modules.

KL might have the solution, but that works only if the fog light switch is turned on. I don't know if Arturo wants his fog lights on all the time just so they blink with the corners when he locks or unlocks the truck.

I think it could be done with one relay, but you would have to tap into the signal from the Security module that activates the corner lights, not the corner light power.

...Rich

Well with the factory fog light switch in mine do flash with the lock unlock.......

Rich,

he stated ( unless I missed it) he did not care if they stayed on all the time as he only drives with them all on any way.....

Either or, It can be done, Just how you want to do it and what kind of knowledge of wiring do you have is what it boils down to...

Todd Z

Todd,

Sorry, I missed his second post where he said it would be ok if he had to always leave the fogs on. Yes, if he does not mind his fogs always being on, then your diagram will work....But then why not just leave the fog light switch on all the time, and that seems to accomplish the same thing?

...Rich

i have to say im a bit confused by the combination of everyones input.

KL
On my 2002, if I leave the "Fog Light" button pressed in (with the lights off) when I press the key fob lock button, or unlock, both the normal lights & the fog lights flash.

[/quote

by normal youre referring to the side markers correct?

and is this possible?

my fog switch stays pressed in all the time. during daytime i always flip my headlight swtich over to turn the side markers on. doing that and with the button pressed in my fogs also come on.

but when i lock or unlock with the fob only the side markers flash but not fogs. not even with my the fog switch still pressed in when the truck is off. i dont know how yours can do this?

Arturo,

I do not have a Sport Trac anymore so I cannot test this and say it's true.

Perhaps if it is true, they may have the "Auto Headlight" feature and perhaps you don't, or maybe the other way around...? It appears that the flashing of the fogs may be related to the headlight switch and only the "Auto Headlight feature may make the difference.

...Rich

that could be true. i just wasnt aware that 02's came with the auto headlamp feature. so i wasnt fully sure how KLs ST was able to do that. i still think it would be a neat project. i would just like to gather the right info before starting to mess with any wiring lol. im sure when i figure out how to properly do this i will right a project on it.

Arturo,

As I said earlier, Todd's relay wiring should work as long as you don't mind having your fog lights come on anytime the headlights/corner lights are on.

...Rich

It appears that the flashing of the fogs may be related to the headlight switch and only the "Auto Headlight feature may make the difference.

If your ST will not flash the fogs when the switch is left on, then auto headlight might be the reason.

I have the auto headlight feature, but always have it disabled. Honestly, it's a pain IMO, but it is worth it for the awesome auto-dimming rear view mirror that it comes with :grin:

Latest posts