Wiper Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug David

Reaction score
I just spent $2,200 for new front bearings, ball joint, new tires, rear brake adjustment and oil change. Got it back Monday and I was happy as a clam that I didn't feel like Fred Sanford rollin' down the street anymore. Then today (Friday) I turned on my wipers and they went to the top position and stopped! If I turn the switch I can hear clicking from under the hood where the wipers are but it doesn't sound like the wiper motor is running. Two questions:

1) If it was the power to the motor would I hear that clicking when I turn the switch?

2) Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much replacing the wiper motor should be?

I REALLY hope this thing hasn't begun it's downhill slide 'cause I still love my Sport Trac and I don't like the new ST at all.

Move your tilt steering wheel up and down and try your wipers while the wheel is in different positions.

There is a common problem in many Sport Trac's related to insufficient slack in the wiring harness that goes up the steering column and can cause erratic operation of all the electrical circuits in the column. That included wipers, horn, turn signals, and even the brake lights (share the sam bulb with the turn signals).

...Rich

I had the same problem this Thursday morning. We live in Ohio, and it has been COLD, single digits and below Zero. The ST sits outside (I have a two car woodshop). The AF base had been closed for two days, that is how cold it was with from 8 to 12 inches of snow. Turned on the wipers, they went to the top and stopped. Called dealer to get them fixed, but after sitting in the sun for 8 hours, they worked just fine. When I cancelled the dealer appointment, the service tech said that water or some moisture had gotten in and froze the linkage.

Just had this issue. I had a bigh chunk of ice that built up after the storm that was blocking the motor assembly from moving. Dumped a big bucket of hot water and it works fine now.

Latest posts