Winter wheels without TPMS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

it is snow season here in Ontario Canada and I have thought about getting a set of cool Mustang 18 inch rims with a set of Blizzaks from my 2010 ST Adrenalin.

I understand the Mustang rims will fit with an offset that is close to the STA and the correct hub size 70.5

My question is has anyone ever run without the TPMS sensors ?

What will it do besides leave the light on the dash all winter long until I put my 20 inch rims back on.

If it is a must to install the TPMS sensors can I install an aftermarket sensor like most new cars now that just uses the sensor built into the valve stem. Much cheaper at around 40 dollars each.

I know the sensor uses 315 MHz frequency.

I don't want to spend 3-4 hundred dollars for the straps and sensors like Ford originally installed on the STA.

Thank you to all in advance.

Paul

You should be able to go with an aftermarket snap-in type. Looking at the annoying light on the dash may get old unless you can live with a piece of black electrical tape over that area.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the name of an aftermarket that will work for your adrenalin. I just went through this crap with my daughters Kia Optima for her extra set of winter tires/rims.

Here's a nice read for you though!

You will get a Tire sensor fail on every start up, that you will have to clear, and then a constant yellow exclamation point on the dash. Up to you to decide if it annoys you or not. I personally went with the TMMS bands on my winter wheels, as any kind of warning light drives me batty.

Thank you for your advice and comments, much appreciated.

ZenX1 what kind of tires and rims did you go with for your winter rims ?

Thanks again

Paul

Paul,

Looks like you have these factory sensors as an alternative to the banded ones but they'll cost you a bit. The good thing is that it's a one time hit and then you're good for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with bands on my 20" summer setups as I couldn't stand the warning light. My stock 17's now have M+S tires on them for the winter here in Seattle.

I went with Hankook Ipike tires and just generic steel wheels ( 18"). They look like crap compared to the stock 20" tires and wheels, but made a world of difference for winter driving! Especially with the horrible winter we had last year, ( And so far this year as well). ( I live in Alberta)

Hi ZenX1

the winter is starting terrible here already too. I live in Kitchener Waterloo area just west of Toronto.

I am thinking about getting the Mustang rims and the TPMS aftermarket sensors with the Blizzaks.

Drove home tonight and the roads were icing up all over the place.

The slip light came on several times after feeling a little twitch from the back end.

Thanks again.

Paul

Its a function before fashion deal. We have very harsh winters here, I ran all seasons with the stock rims for a few winters. And sure, it looked better, but what a huge pain in the ass! With how deep those rims are they constantly filled up with snow, making the tires unbalanced and causing the whole truck to shimmy, You'd have to get out and dig all the snow out of the rims with a snow brush and your hands. The cheap wheels dont look good, but they get the job done. Just have to wait until spring and she gets her 20s back on and looks pretty again!

I replaced the OE band TPMS with valve stem units from NAPA at $50 each. The light still came on and required a visit to the dealer to program but they didn't charge me for it. :supercool:

Still comes on once in a while but not like it used to.

Latest posts