Windshield Wipers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need a little help. My intermittent wipers have stopped working correctly. The wipers still work on high and low, but on intermittent, the move up about 45 degrees and stop. Any ideas on what to look for (and Where)?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Yes I would also agree with the Multi-function switch. There was a thing on the ranger site and it was called the "ghost wiper" or something. Basically like if you were driving down the road, the wipers would turn on automatically. Now the only fix to this, besides buying a new switch, was to take the switch apart. They said, that the build of dust and whatever else happens to make itself in there, would make it ghostly work by itself or sometimes not work at all. So I would say, if your feeling adventurous to take it apart or just buy a new switch. Its pretty easy to remove, just remember to disconnect your battery to take away the chance of the airbag braking your nose or whatever. Theres like 3 screws that hold the steering column cover on. If I remember, I believe there to be one bolt holding the switch in place. And a wiring connect. Its pretty easy.

I may buy a new switch myself. I went to Rockauto.com and came up with part#SW6060 for my 04. It's about $35. Not bad considering I thought it'd be about $80, but that may be what I paid for (PLUS labor) when I had the multifunction switch replaced on my 95 Ranger by the dealership way back when. Funny, it was doing the random self-wiping thing too.

If it's a DIY on my ST now, I'll buy it since the left/right detente doesn't click into position properly. Minor issue but annoying since I experience it on every drive.

Oh yeah, here's a 5% discount code you enter in the "How did you hear about us?" line during checkout: 704605153643.

Last edited by a moderator:
The switch tends to get beat up because it doubles as the turn signal. We've replace three or so over the years on my church's Club Wagon.

I replaced the switch and still have no intermittent wipers - Where should I look next? Is it the motor? Tried switching the relays and no change. Any help would be appreciated - otherwise it is back to the dealer.

Thanks

Rick

Sorry, I don't know an answer for that one. If it wasn't any that we said, I'd go back to the dealer. Or ask fellow friends who might know car stuff and see what they got to say. With it still not working, its a road block for me.

Latest posts