Window A/C for my house not blowing cold air!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Pierobon

Reaction score
Hey I have the window A/C for my house and its only three years old but it doesn't blow cold air like it used too? is there something that I have to do, like yearly maintainance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx

patrick pierobon

I swear it's the way they drain the water. i have issues all the time sometimes they are cold othertimes the coils all freeze up and blow this crappy air. I drilled a small hole towards the back of my ac's and make sure they are tilted backward while in place to be sure the water drains out the backside.... It seems to do the trick... I am not sure if this is the problem but whatever!

Joseymack

Joseymack:

Many window unit air conditioners use the water to help remove heat from the condensor coils. They retain water in the outside cabinet, and the condensor fan actually has a "slinger" on it that picks up the water and tosses it on the coils, and the resulting evaporation with the air blowing through the coils helps remove more heat than it would if run dry. By using the water, designers can get by with smaller coils and fans, and the unit operates more efficiently, providing more cooling with less energy. There is also the added advantage of not having water running all over the place--it is just evaporated in the condensor air. I wouldn't be drilling holes and trying to help "drain" the water.

To the original problem, the only maintenance that you can really do to window units is to keep both the evaporator and condensor fans and coils clean, keep the filter clean, make sure the unit is mounted level, and that is about it. While any good shop can perform repairs on them, including evacuation and recharging of refrigerant, the labor cost can very quickly exceed the cost of a new unit--which will also likely be more efficient and quieter than the old unit.