Wind Noise - How to reduce?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Whitman

Reaction score
Hey guys I have noticed in the last 12 months that my TRAC seems to be getting more and More wind noise on the Highway when driving.

I know that some of it is road noise from my crappy tires... Planning on changing them out in Feb. 08 some time.

But was wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce the wind noise? Would buying new door seals help? or adding a deflector on the sunroof??

Looking for some input.

Oh its 2004 - 4x4

Cheers

Whit

I was getting some air noise and called the dealer to ask about it. I was asked if I had recently had the oil changed at the dealer. I couldn't make a connection, so I asked how that would be related. I was told that as part of routine maintenance service, the door seals a given a shot of spray silicon to help them seat better. Give it a try.

I had a dealer oil change about 3 weeks ago... I am guessing they don't do this at my dealer! LOL

Plus my back door seals do look like they could use being changed!

But not sure how much of a difference this will make... Plus no idea what it would cost for new seals for the doors.

Silicone eats rubber. (Slowly, but it still does)

Instead, wipe each seal with a mixture of dish soap and water. Then close the doors and let it dry for 8 or 9 hours. It'll seat beautifully.

My 2003 Ranger developed some wind noise which was felt while driving on the freeway at aprox 60mph or if there was any high winds. This noise was air being driven thru my windshield. Also my door seals were allowing air to get thru as well.

I used some 303 on them which helped quite a bit....moreso on my door seals....

I too would not recommend using any kind of silicon.....might be good for a quick fix, but like Dingo said....will slowly mess up the rubber seals for the long run over time.

I am guessing it would have to be warm out for me to do this! LOL considering its -14 out right now!

So would replacing the seals help also? and does anyone know what the cost is to replace the seals?

Desertfox - Your windsheild was causing the noise... what did you do to fix that? I have a chip in mine now and was looking at getting the whole thing replaced...

The noise in my windshield was from a section of the window seal near the top on the passenger side. I had thought of squirting some silicone in there, but after hearing it would have been just a temp fix.....I tried squirting some 303 in the area. The 303 lubed up the seal enough the noise of air quit.

I know winter weather is when the seals seem to be most affected.....mine was fine thru the summer months and only started having probs once winter set in. (Everything shrinks in the winter) :)

As far as replacing the seals.....the dealer will charge some bucks...you might try a wrecker, but no tellin what condition those seals would be in.

Your door seals, I'd try first cleaning and lubing them before going out and replacing them. Might save you some bucks if that works.

With it being -14, results prob wont be as good as it would in warmer weather.

I think that this will have to wait till spring to be resolved!

Then atleast I know that I have done my best with the weather being warmer! Plus I can do the work myself! LOL

The '04s have the upgraded door seals. I live in south east texas. We never get the extreme cold for very long. I have never had any wind noise on my '04. This must be related to shrinkage from the cold. I wonder if you were to get some 3/16x3/16 striping. Put it behind the factory strip. Maybe it would push it out to seal better. Just a thought..

I would just go ahead and replace the seals, you know that shipping cost you shafted me out of for the Brake light, just put that towards the cost.:angry:

Wow Terry thats hurtful... I have been a member here a long time and I mailed it back in December to you. Matter of fact I have the bill handy right here - Dec 6th, 2007 3:42pm

If you didn't recieve it - by the sounds of it you didn't I will send it again... If you can except electronic transfers or Paypal that might be easier!

I will flip you an email right now.

Cheers

Whit

Most common causes of wind noise are seals (door, window, sunroof), and turbulent air flow around the outside (buffeting around the mirrors, a pillars). The former can be helped by many of the things that people have mentioned. Winter does make these worse. The latter there isn't a whole lot that you can do with, unless you have some body panels out of alignment or something odd that is causing air to not flow smoothly around the truck. Sometimes antennas can whistle, so using a different antenna may help.

Rocks

I have an 01, and i had to replace the door seals, and i also lined the whole truck, including the doors with fatmat.. Road noise almost all gone.

The rest is just tires on mine.

Latest posts