Wind Leak Noise at door seal?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
My '10 Limited as developed a bad wind leak noise at the top rear of the passenger front door. The rubber seals both are in good shape. The door seems to be aligned OK and not sagging. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you meant to type '10? Anyway, if you figure it out let me know because I have noticed something similar on my '07 Limited. I have been hoping that it is just a result of the extremely cold temps this winter but that is probably wishful thinking.

Tried the index card/paper test? From the Ford Workshop Manual:

Place an index card or a piece of paper between the weatherstrip and the sealing surface, then close the door. Slowly withdraw the index card or paper after the door is closed and check the amount of pressure on the weatherstrip. There should be a medium amount of resistance as it is withdrawn. Continue around the entire seal area. If there is little or no resistance, this indicates insufficient contact to form a good seal. At these points, the door, the glass or the weatherstrip is out of alignment.

Try lowering your door glass 1/8 inch or less by bumping the switch quickly. I found out mine was the glass, not the door. Haven't took the time to deal with it, but the noise stopped.

Thanks for the ideas. I will check it out.

I always thought the leak was between the door and the body at the top, but it makes sense that it could be between the glass trim and the door. I push on the door at the top and cannot seem to change it much.

If it wasn't such a big damn deal, I would get my wife to drive it down the highway so I could sit on the passenger side and listen and poke around. Maybe I can con her by taking her out to dinner or something...

Thanks a bunch, SJones!!! Your link pointed me right to the problem!!!

My Trac is about 100 times more pleasant to ride for long trips!!!

This board is GREAT!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Latest posts