wifes Jeep cold start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha, My wife's Jeep, 1995 5.2L G Cherokee has a problem with cold starts. It acts as though there is no choke, but it is fuel injected. I have changed the idle speed motor twice and no help. Once it is warm, no problem, runs smooth, just first start in the morning. Is there something other than the idle speed motor? I have looked but don't see anything!

Thanks for your help Ed

How many miles on this car and what's the service/repair history? I'd look at the easiest things first: fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs. Add a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. You're describing a fuel delivery problem rather than ignition. Some engines have temp sensors that change fuel delivery sequencing on cold starts. You'd have to look at a decent repair manual to see if this car is so equipped. Let's say there's such a sensor on this engine and it's failed; the fuel control would think that all starts are "warm" and maybe not meter enough fuel.

Alpha Vic, 84K miles, I have changed everything that you suggested but the fuel filter. Would 't that act up warm or hot? I thought fuel filters would show up at high speed. No codes Gavin.

I apreciate the help. Ed

Though you do not have a choke in the traditional means, you do have items that equate to a choke.

The Coolant Temp Sensor and Air Charge Temperature Sensor both affect the fuel delivery to the vehicle.

If you have a sensor that is defective but within specs, your ECM (Computer/Brain) will think the engine is warm or hot. If this is the case, it will NOT inject enough fuel to start the engine.

Plug into a scanner and see what the sensors THINK the temperature it. Neither should be above the ambient temperature. You can rent one or pay a garage. The concern is, if you drive it to a garage, the engine will in fact be warm and render the test useless.

You need to test this in the morning before you have run the engine as this is when the issue is a concern...

Latest posts