Where can I get my wheels chrome dipped?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes on eBay you can find auctions that will basically trade wheels with you. They have chromed ones, and you send them your old wheels. Still costs a heck of a lot though. Be cheaper to find some aftermarket 16's that you like.

Edit: added a link to eBay auction.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best place would be in cali but your far from there check the local wheel shops and ask them where they get there stuff redipped at when they fix a wheel. discount tire wont help you though. They always say that cali chrome shines better than anyothers. Just due to the water quality. Its all about the prep with chrome.

I was just looking at getting my stock wheels powder coated. The guy said it would cost about $75.00 per wheel which, when you consider buying new rims, is a great deal. Powder coating (if you don't already know) is paint that's baked on at high temp. Don't know if they can do chrome, but it might be worth looking into. I think you can find powder coaters in the phone book under paint or protective coating. Hope this helps.

Check the Yellow Pages in your area or big cities close to you for Platers or Plating Shops. I would think Norfolk area would have some since there are ship repair sub-contractors there as well as boat repair yards. Good Luck!

How about: Hanlon Plating Company · Richmond, Virginia · 804-233-2021

you are going to pay way more then $75 a wheel to have them chrome dipped.

Chroming the stock wheels will also make them weaker ...you can get a nice set of chrome rims cheaper then having the stocks done like said above

edit: here is a list from a shop in Santa Ana, Cali.

We are pleased to provide the following general pricing guide. Prices listed apply to most makes and models, but please note pricing across some makes and models can vary. If the items you are interested in having processed are not listed, please Contact Us and describe the part(s) to be quoted

(prices are per piece/per wheel)

Automotive Wheels

Auto 15" $95.00

Auto 16" $95.00

Auto 17" $100.00

Auto 18" $100.00

Auto 19" $115.00

Auto 20" $115.00

Auto 21" Contact Us

Auto 22" Contact Us

Auto 23" and over Contact

I have seen ads in the back pages of motor trend, car and driver, etc. It is a wheel swap system.

Chroming the stock wheels will also make them weaker...

Really??? This is news to me. Please elaborate fmarano. I myself traded in my stocks for the a set of chromed ones per the eBay deal Jeff linked above. A few things made this my most practical option, but the best thing was, I was able to pick them up locally for $450. Still pricey, but the most practical way to go at the time.

[Broken External Image]:

Yes weaker. It weakens the alloy which in turn can lead to cracks and failures. Like stated above, leask around the bead and so on. I am not saying it happens to every set, but it does happen.

"Yes weaker. It weakens the alloy which in turn can lead to cracks and failures. Like stated above, leask around the bead and so on. I am not saying it happens to every set, but it does happen."

But how? This makes no sense. They are not heated up in any except during the initial polishing stage. They are then dipped in copper to fill in any pits and to give the nickle something to stick to. Depending on how pitted, they may only stay in the copper for a few minutes. They would be polished again. Then they would go to nickle for a few minutes then back to polish. Then into the chrome bath and then back to polishing. Aluminum wheels are chrome plated everyday. The bead problem is the chrome peals, not allowing a good seal for the tire.

Anyway, call Chromemasters or Advanced Plating, both are in Nashville,TN. I have used both for plating and will do you an excellent job. Advanced will be quite a bit more expensive than ChromeMasters. If you have any concerns about the chrome weakening the aluminum, these guys will know.

As for powdercoating aluminum, it is generally not a good idea to do on a structural piece. You can do it if the person uses a low heat powder. If you heat aluminum up to 425 degrees, the normal curing temp for powders, it changes the moleculer structure and makes the material weak. Which in turn could cause cracks and lead to a complete failure of the part.

Mr Bug...... I am not sure of the specifics and I have not studied this topic. Everything I know about this has come from websites of companies who do chroming and from people who have had it done and have had wheel cracks or failures.

I am sure you can call any number of places that do it and ask the specifics of why it weakens the alloy......

I am sure though, that if it didn't weaken the alloy, companies who do the plating wouldnt issue a warning on their website.......

Latest posts