Wheels new????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Thompson

Reaction score
Just completed the upgrade of the shocks to a rancho RSX and now looking at the possibility of new wheels.

Currently I have an 05 trac with 16x7 rims with a 4.75" backspacing (Stock) and I am running the 255/75-16 Goodyear RT/S on them with only 26,000 miles. I would like to change the look of the truck and go up in size. I am doing the TT/Shkl job tomorrow. as to the size of tire I can handle I can figure out, but I am looking to those who have bought new rims and what the dimensions you went with. The search has shown several with 15x8 with 3.5" -4" backspacing and -19mm offset. is this it? many others have the spacers and if I am getting the new rims I can order whatever I want and eliminate the whole spacer idea.

Hey just had a revelation

Isn't backspacing and the offset two different number to relate the same thing.

Offset being the distance from centerline of tire and the backspacing being the distance from the back portion of the rim to the mounting holes??

Assuming (yea I know what assumption is) that i would go to a 15x8 or 16x8 with one number can't you find the other?

You know the maximum width of the new tires. You can determine the minimum clearance between the mounting surface and rear obstructions. You can decide the amount of tire that you want showing outside your fender line. From these you can calculate a the offset and backspacing that will fit your requirements.

Isn't backspacing and the offset two different number to relate the same thing?

Yes.

A 15x8 with 3.75" backspace is ideal and very common. If you want 16's, the 16x8 with the least backspace, 4.0", that I've found is a Pro Comp 1069. The tendency is for wider tires to rub on the inside so you need to space them out from the body.

With a TT/shackle lift you can fit a 32" tire no problem or a narrow 33" like a 33x10.50-15 or 285/75-16. A wide 33" ain't gonna go without a suspension or body lift.

Like Johnny O said, the selection is limited. I choose 15 X 8 so I could get greater backspacing...

I have 15x8's with 3.75" backspacing and I run 32x11.50x15 tires. It is a perfect fit with the 3.75" if you are going for a 15x8 wheel. Tires a little less expensive with the 15's although... how often do you buy tires? For most if you buy tires every 3-4 years the cost difference is negligible (figuring on the difference over that period of time).... the combo that I have is an really a good looking fit if you are going for a ballance of extra footprint (11.50 wide) with a sub 33" tire. Fills the wells nicely with the TT and Shackles. The 3.75 backspace should be one of the most common when looking at wheels for 5x4.5 on a 15x8 rim.

Just make sure the 15x8 wheels (if you with them) will clear your brakes... my calipers are a tight fit on mine and some might not allow for proper clearance.

As mentioned an 11.5" wide tire (standard or metric equivalent) is about the widest you can run without much rub issues or wear on your front swaybar (at full turn on the inside). Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your decision.

Latest posts