wheel knocking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Powell

Reaction score
I own a sport trac. But due to the sheer expertise of the members of this website, I shall inquire about my 2004 maxima today. There is a low speed knocking in the driver's side front wheel. Not a steady vibration, but a knocking like that of a cast iron skillet on a gas burner that is not perfectly level. Similar to that of a computer keyboard or other object jumping occaisionally that is not on an even surface. It is there at interstate speeds, but due to wind noise, it is almost undetectable.

What is it? Wheel bearing, bent rotor, loose wheel???????

Possible loose ball joint? Maybe other loose component in suspension/steering.

This could be potentially dangerous and I would recommend that if you don't feel comfortable getting under the vehicle and looking for the problem yourself that you have it looked at by a professional you trust at an alignment shop.

Rotate your front tires onto the rear. If the noise is gone at least you know your chasing a tire or wheel issue.

Still there, need to look deeper like into the suspension...

If it is not consistant with the rolling of the wheels..I would look under and see if any body panels are loose and flopping around..

Check your struts. Had a loose strut mount knocking round, then binding, then snapping off on a freeway.

Kinda made that noise, then it made a ping... click, click, thunk, whack, skid, skid, skid, skid.

By the time I shot from the fast lane on that curve on the BQE by the Brooklyn Bridge, over to the right shoulder, I saw that my wheel buckled, the strut shaft shot through the hood, and that I was in for a long night.

Do the simplest test first.

If you have alloy wheels, they may have used the "Stick-on" style wheel weights that are installed inside the rims. Sometimes there is very little clearance and they put them on at a location that causes it to strike the caliper. I had the same problem with my Honda when I had them install the custome alloy wheels.

...Rich

Latest posts