What's this part?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The wires that lead in to the part circled in this picture are stripped and frayed a bit on my Trac. Does anyone know what part it is? and how I might obtain a new one as I'm sure it's not kosher to be rollin' around with it like this.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

You will not get the pig tail when you order the part, you need to go to a salvage yard so you can buy just the pig tail as I doubt you need the actual part itself.

I would suggest you use heat-shrink when you do put it back together. It will keep the weather out of the area you put the wires together and be stronger as well...

What I am wondering is what caused this. I have worked on a Yamaha outboard that had wires for a running light (mounted on top of the motor cover) that looked like this. In my case the wires where frayed because the plastic shielding was melted off due to a short. It had shored at the top because of a connector that fell apart and a good 1ft section melted to bare wire which shorted even more. I was lucky it finally blew a fuse or else thinks could have been very bad.

Any way doese that connector plug directly into a sensor or is it just a plug to plug connection. Because if its just a plug to plug you could just replace the bad wires and use a connector from the junkyard or what not. I have used the ABS plugs from the front of junk yard cars for all kinds of aftermarket wiring on my truck. They are nice water proof plugs with a decent gauge wire. also marine supply stores like west marine often have better quality plugs and wires than that of advance auto.

-Don D.

So.. Looked on rockauto.com and found that Mark K's suggestion with the knock sensor looks fairly close to this part. I plan to take a closer look soon and see if I can follow the other end of the wires to it's terminus. thanks for all the help.:D

If you can get the number off the part, I can cross it and find the correct pigtail replacement if it is available.

I totally agree with Gary, that looks like the work of a mouse/ chipmunk, etc., it's getting colder and they tend to get into warmer places such as engine bays. I would just splice in new wire and salvage the pigtail until you can get to a junkyard and find the same pigtail. Or take it off and go to parts store to see if they have one that matches. :D:banana:

Last edited by a moderator: