What's the factory warranty on the Cat Conv. on a 2003 ST??? Internals are breaking apart !! HELP!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
Hey guys, the internals on my Cats are breaking apart and I want to replace them before it plugs it or causes other damage. The parts stores want $345 for new front and rear, too pricey for my wallet right now. When I had my '98 S-10 it was covered till 80k, is there a year range or mileage limit Ford has on their Cats?? If the warranty doesn't cover them can I just replace the front Cat and weld in a piece of pipe in the rear's place since there's no sensors after the rear Cat?? Thanks for the help in advance.:driving::cry::supercool:

Warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles on the cats. Personally I don't believe in removing the cats, they are there for a reason....we all need to do our fair share

EMISSIONS PERFORMANCE WARRANTY COVERAGE

If your vehicle is registered in a state where the state or local government has

an EPA-approved inspection and maintenance program, you may also be eligible

for Emissions Performance Warranty Coverage for 2 years or 24,000 miles

(whichever occurs first), if you meet the conditions listed below in this section.

Under the Emissions Performance Warranty for passenger cars and light duty

trucks, Ford Motor Company also provides coverage, including labor and

diagnosis, for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for the following

emissions parts, if you meet the conditions listed below in this section.

catalytic converter

compuvalve

electronic emissions control unit (PCM)

onboard emissions diagnostic device

vehicle communication link (VCL) module

Damn, I have 82k on mine, figures. So my other question, can I do away with the rear Cat since there's no sensors after it? Yes I do have emissions test here in Pittsburgh. Too bad I didn't still live in Hermiston, Oregon, no emissions or inspection there. Anyone know of a cheap place to get the front Cat?:cry:

Jerry,

L1Tech may be right, and maybe not.

There is a Federal warranty on Emmision control equipment on all new vehicles that is good for 8 years. The problem with this warranty is that the car manufacturers get to pick what parts they will cover and which they will not.

The only way you will know is to get the part number for the catalytic converter and go to your Ford dealers parts department and see if the cat part number is declared by Ford as a Federally Warranteed Emission part. I have heard that some Ford dealerships will not show you the part numbers on the Federal Warranty list unless they are on the invoice for the repairs. That means you have Ford replace the Cats, pay them, and then you can see if it's covered under the Federal emmissions warranty. If it is covered, they will refund the parts and labor for that portion of the repair.

If it is you should be able to get it replaced free as long as the vehicles is not more than 8 years old, and you have less than 80K miles.

It's pretty hard to have a car that long with less than 80K miles.

...Rich

The parts stores want $345 for new front and rear

For just a little bit more, you can get the R/T high-flow cat from Zabteck. Money well-spent on a better-performing product!:supercool::banana::driving:

Aside from that, the only cats you can remove without throwing a CEL code are the Y-pipe cats. Run without the two main cats and you'll throw a code, unless you have Torrie write you a custom tune that shuts of the exhaust pipe O2 sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts