What year model ect to get???? HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian brown 3

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to this forum and haven't "lurked" around yet so I hope I am posting in the right thread.

I am looking at getting a sport trac 4x4 and with a limited budget, which is the best year, model etc. I know I would love to have 07 up but the price is also UP...

This will be my daily driver, but I have other cars so it's not my only means of transportation

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Brian

:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brian,

:welcome:

Just my opinion of course, but if you can swing it, I would look for a 2003 to 2005 with low mileage. (I believe that the 2003 & up had rear disc brakes)

If you end up looking at a 2001, see if its a "job1" or "job2". You want a Job 2 in that year if possible. (Oil fill on the Passenger side)

Best bet for less problems would be a Job 2 equipted '03-05. '01-02's are good Trac's but have early model issues like all vehicles do. I have an '03 ST 4wd XLT and haven't had any problems other then routine maintenance and repairs. Good luck with the search and welcome to the site.

:eek:nline::haveabeer:

That's the kind of info I was looking for! 03 and up. I did read a bit about the Job 1 Vs Job 2, but it didn't say much about one better than the other. Kind of figured the latter would be better, is why they changed it.

So, 2003 ~ 2006 if I want to stay under $12,000 ( I found a couple of 2001s for $7,000 @ 140,000 miles)

I perfer power adjustable seat. Is there any certain year for that? and the power rear "flow thru" window is a nice touch. AND.. rear hard cover.

I will re-adjust my thinking hat, and budget... just found out we are getting a tax refund.. That helps!

yayay!

Any more info is welcomed.

Brian,

A quick and not all inclusive list of milestones

'01-'05 is referred to a generation 1

'07-'10 is considered as generation 2

The difference is primarily body style changes and fully independent suspension on gen 2

There is NO actual '06 model year Trac.

The job1 to job2 changed occurred mid-year of '01 and as mentioned can most easily be determined by checking which side of the engine has the oil fill tube.

Oil fill on passenger side is job2. Driver side is job1

'01-'02 had drum rear brakes

'03 and newer have rotor and pads all around.

There are many other more subtle differences but I didn't want to write a book on the subject.

Good luck on your search.

:driving:

If you're patient, you can do much better than $12k for 140,000 miles. I got my '01 last year in mint condition, every option except limited slip, including 4x4, with 54k miles. $9,700 out the door. Dealer was asking $11,700.

If you want a V8, you're going to have to go Gen2.

Do you really go off road or just off pavement? Are you just looking for 4x4 as a convenient option or will you really use it? If yes, then Gen1.

You'll be lucky to find the tonneau cover from a dealership, but if you do that's a great bonus. It shouldn't affect the price much. You can find them on here occasionally.

I'd shoot for rear disc brakes and the knowledge that some of the bugs might have been worked out.

Overall, though, I'd go for the lowest mileage one you can find with the options you want with the model year taking a backseat to mileage and price. I initially wanted an '03-'05 but all the ones I found were 4x2, high mileage or beat to hell. I certainly don't feel like I made any compromises getting a 2001.

Hey again guys

I found an 04 that looks really good.. I hope I didn't snooze and loose it. I was trying to get a deal going, but not sure it that's going to work out.

IT's an Adrenlin.. is that any difference on an 04 model? has 103 k miles at asking price is 11,899. Looks very good via internet pix

DONE!.. I am offically one of you guys now. I bought the 2004 Adrenalin 4x4, Candy apple red, with Bed extender, Tonneu cover, Keypad entry, Subwoofer and more.. Included.!

:banana:

05d46b23fee05ffb37425603d4a512a5.jpg

Latest posts