What tools needed for Body Mount Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Durst

Reaction score
Plan on changing out ALL the deteriorated OEM body mount insulators/bushings on my '02 S/T.

Ive got the Poly Bushing kit from Prothane and a big can of PB rust buster.

I would like to know what "special tools" I might need.

I know I'll have to remove the interior. How much?

Once I gain access to the mount hardware (maybe beforehand) I'll heatup the retaining threaded fastners with my propane torch.

Should I get/borrow/rent an electric impact gun to unscrew the bolts? What type and size wrench do I need to unscrew the bolts?

I've got a pipe wrench to hold the lower "flange/nut".

Once I get the bolts out, Prothane recommends screwing a new bolt into the flange/nut from under the S/T. Then using a punch placed thru the sleeve from the inside of the S/T and aBIG hammer, you beat the sleeve out. I'll apply PB on everything first.

What size bolt do I need?

Once everything is apart and cleaned up I should be able to install the new parts.

Thanks for any tips.

Here's more info from Hugh.

I did mine 2 weeks ago.I did the prothane kit also.It took me about 6-7 hours with a mix of hand and air tools.I was very careful on removal of interior(a bit anal) about clips and trim.The hardest part was getting the old mount bolts out.Soak them overnight or for a few days.I didnt but i should have.Hardest part was getting the old bolts loose.I also had 1 mount keep spinning,had to grab it with a large pair of channel lock pliers.Its not so bad though.Good Luck.

Steve beat me to it. I did that writeup because I wasn't able to find one when I was looking.

Use a torch...definitely use a torch. I didn't when I did the body lift but I tried it when replacing the bushings. This is not as hard a project as it has been made out to be.

Also, the Prothane kit is very simple. I would have preferred OEM (even though the naysayers will yell about them), but the price and ease of the Prothane kit makes it a great deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
My body shop installed my prothane kit. They are 1/4" taller. He had to strap the frame down. So he could lift the body enough. Also he had to go back and retighten a week latter. Had to ignore torque settings. The bushings were loose when using factory torque settings. He pulled them down to tight contact. Then tightend until a slight bulge.

Been several months and all is well now. My pinstripe on the cab is about 1/8" higher than the bed box. Doesnt look bad though. Im well pleased with the peothane kit. The cab feels more stable than new, IMO.