What’s leaking near my diff?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can it be done at home?, of course. But, only you can determine if you have the skills, tools, and time to do it. You have seen the videos, now price parts and tools. Then get a quote from a shop. Is it worth it to do it yourself?

I just watched the "Charles and cars" videos on YouTube. The man took a hammer to it to reassemble. Can't imagine what he did to the crush washer.

I just had something similar on mine at 248,000 miles - lots of noise coming from. what I thought was the front - rear diff leaking a little from the pinion seal - took it too a shop to troubleshoot - rear end was completely worn out - I did what was recommended earlier, watched a bunch of videos - thought it through and decided that it was worth it now to get someone else to do it - so had the rear end shop rebuild it - pricey but not too bad for here in California - just shy of 1700 for inspection, service of front diff, rebuild rear, swap out one rear axle, and replace all rear end and axle seals - at least it was less than he quoted me - 500+ miles later I am getting ready to swap out the gear oil - shop recommended 85/140 - truck had never run better

I managed to do it but it’s still leaking. Less than before but leaking nonetheless. Hardest part is seating the seal. That’s probably what messed up. I’ll probably just watch it for the time being and refill as we go until I get the money to have a professional look at it.

I just had something similar on mine at 248,000 miles - lots of noise coming from. what I thought was the front - rear diff leaking a little from the pinion seal - took it too a shop to troubleshoot - rear end was completely worn out - I did what was recommended earlier, watched a bunch of videos - thought it through and decided that it was worth it now to get someone else to do it - so had the rear end shop rebuild it - pricey but not too bad for here in California - just shy of 1700 for inspection, service of front diff, rebuild rear, swap out one rear axle, and replace all rear end and axle seals - at least it was less than he quoted me - 500+ miles later I am getting ready to swap out the gear oil - shop recommended 85/140 - truck had never run better
I’m at 210k now and when I took of the cover I couldn’t see any serious wear. Just a lot of bad fluid. I may look into a rebuild though. I’m pretty sure there’s a bad axle somewhere. My rear tires wear way faster than the front.

Latest posts