Weather Stripping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lyon

Reaction score
I have noticed that the weather stripping and the plastic surfaces on my Trac seem to be fading. I have been told that using things like Armor All can shine them up but that it is only temporary and that it is most likely what took the protective coating off allowing these parts to fade. My question is does any one else have this issue, and what can I do to keep everything looking nice before it fades to much. I see that Ford recommends a silicon spray, do any of you use this, and does it work?

[Broken External Image]:

i use this on both my black vehicles. The shine doesn't last forever, but when you treat them and keep them clean, they will stay nice and dark. You can always add more to make them shine again. Nothing ever lasts forever as far as detailing goes. That is why we keep washing and detailing our cars when they need it.

Mothers Back to Black ,Forever Black and a few others out there as well. Noth that i know that is "permanent" as far as trim goes...it all washes away eventually.

When I recently bought a used Mustang before it had been put through the reconditioning that trade-ins go through to make most of them look so new these days, I had my doubts that the salesman was right about the miracle their reconditioning guy was going to perform the next time he came around, so I did a little research. He either used "Forever Black" or a product like it to re-dye the black plastic parts. It is sold to professional auto detailers, and only dyes porous items, so you don't have to worry about messing up your paint with it. When I picked up my car, it looked like a different vehicle. The black was black again, and, of course, he had paintlessly removed dents and sanded the cloudiness out of the headlamp covers as well. I found Forever Black on Ebay and immediately ordered a bottle for my ST, as it was also showing fade after only 25k miles. It comes in a bottle the size and shape of a liquid shoe polish bottle. It is easy to apply and fast to dry. I have had it on long enough to know for certain that it does not "rain" off or come off in the wash like mere protectants do, and because it is a dye, if you get it on your clothes or somehow get it inside your car, it's going to stay there for good. I applied about four coats to my mirrors, the plastic tray where the windshield wipers sit, the tailgate handle, the black knobby pads on the back bumper, and the non-metal areas around my windows. It is supposed to last at least as long as the original black did. It says you can do two whole cars with it. I had enough left over to do my parents' Sunfire, then I added more coats to my Mustang, and I still have at least half a bottle. I got plenty on my paint, but if it was still wet, I wiped it off, and if it had dried, I waxed it off. It cost me about $17 to get it here, but it is well worth it. It comes in gray, too, and when my cladding looks bad all over instead of just a few places, I'm going to give that a try.

For painted surfaces, you'll probably just have to start painting!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Mother's Back to Black. Mine were turning rainbow colored on the rear window, put a coat of that on and it lasts several months. Doesn't help my ST hasn't been in a garage in 4 1/2 years...

Thanks for all the tips. I just order some of the "Forever Black" to help bring back the original color, and some "Ice" to keep it shiny.

Latest posts