warranty

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy reilly

Reaction score
My 08 ST has about 42000 mile on it... Question, should I purchase an extended warranty. When I first purchased the ST new I only planned on keeping it 3-4years. I now plan on possibly keeping it till I drive it to the ground.

Depends on the cost. Most consumer sites I've read say not to bother with them and put the same amount of money aside in a savings account in case you do need it. Do not buy an extended warranty from anyone other than the manufacturer. Third-party companies tend to not honor claims and have an annoying tendency to go out of business and take your money with them.

Bottom line, the expensive part most likely to fail is the transmission and the cost of an extended warranty is (ta-da!) about the same price as rebuilding the tranny.

I got a premium version of a Ford extended warranty from a member here on the site. It hasn't worked for some things, but yesterday it did cover new brake calipers. Psycareyo is his nom-de-plume, not sure if he can do it again. I do know I had to have less than 36,000 miles on the truck, cause I had to take a photo of the odometer. Bob

Just my 2 cents worth. If you have had no issues thus far, forget about the warranty. Generally speaking warranties are a rip-off. The last time I bought an extended warranty was on a used Explorer 4x4. I paid about $1000 for a very premium warranty through my wife's credit union. I ended up with about $600 in claims, so I lost money. And the warranty covered the truck until right at 100k miles. Of course, your experience may vary. :)

I would never knowingly buy an extended warranty from anyone other than the manufaturer of the vehicle. I bought my warranty from FORD at the time of purchase because i wanted the warranty to last at least till it was paid off. I'll probably never use it but.....

Latest posts