Warning: Test New Battery!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
My battery was under warranty (2 yr) from O'Reilly's. Instrument gauge lights acting up, took it in to O'Reilly's for them to test, said battery was bad, even though it was just 18 months since purchased there (and it was produced 1 month before purchase). They gave me a new battery (warranty does not extend beyond original battery warranty, BTW, so I have 5 months left on it). I asked if they could help me install it, even though I'm fully capable of doing so myself, but it was slow in the store, and thought I'd ask. Lucky I did. They came out and dropped the new one in, hooked it up, and it was dead. Saved my afternoon, of driving home, pulling the old one, etc. Lesson learned. He said that happens more often with new batteries in the last 2 years.

I bought an Optima yellowtop battery from Amazon for my STA, it lasted about 90 days. I called, explained, and they sent me a new one and told me to dispose of the old one (great customer service).

Online reviews warned that Optima battery quality has declined since they moved production to Mexico.

had the same thing happen with a DieHard battery,8 months after having Sears install it,went to start the truck..dead. jumped it drove to sears they said battery was done. installed a new one 3 days later had truck back at sears bad battery. took it to autozone new battery so far no problems.

Interesting. Don't know which DieHard models were DOA for you, but the discontinued DieHard Platinum P-2 that I installed 12/18/09 is showing no signs of dying after a recent test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts