Venting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
I don't think I'll get rid of my ST anytime soon as I would be hard pressed to find a better vehicle for the money. However, as my ST ages, I have been taking notice of other vehicles. The Tacoma is nice but expensive, the Frontier seems wimpy, The Colorado and Dakota are POSs, the Ridgeline is a good vehicle but I can't get passed it's hideous looks:throwup:. Then there's the ST :love: which will be no more...:sad:

I think my next vehicle will probably be an ST since I try to buy used as much as I can, but I can't help feeling like Ford has abandoned this segment along with the forgotten Ranger.

Sorry about :btddhorse:.

It seems like Honda and Toyota are doing well in the segment, why can't Ford try to do the same???

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some lifted redneck cars, but THAT one takes the cake!

:throwup: :bwahaha: :throwup: :bwahaha:

From that article:

Similar in style to the Honda Ridgeline, the 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (Base MSRP: $28,210 to $35,590) is essentially a Ford Explorer SUV with a 4-foot bed in the back. Payload is smaller than the Ridgeline's (maximum 1,390 pounds), but the Sport Trac is able to tow heavier loads than the Honda Ridgeline. However, reviewers say the Ford Explorer Sport Trac falls short in terms of comfort, quality and reliability, and the 2010 model will be the last.

And did I miss something? They list the Ridgeline as a midsize and the Tacoma as a compact. Is that right?

It seems like Honda and Toyota are doing well in the segment, why can't Ford try to do the same???

Because the F150 is their bread and butter. And they think that consumers looking for a more fuel-efficient truck will flock to the EcoBoost-equipped F150.

But the reason most people buy a truck like our Tracs, a Ranger, Ridgeline, Tacoma, or other mid-size/compact truck is not for better fuel economy, but simply because we don't want a full-size truck like F150, Ram, or Silverado. That's why I have a Sport Trac, and I'm sure most here would agree. We damn sure didn't buy it for better fuel mileage!

Ford either doesn't get that, or simply doesn't care because their profit margin is so high on the F150. It's Ford's best-selling vehicle overall, and has been the best-selling truck in America for over three decades.

When I'm done with my current 2004 Sport Trac, I plan to look at a used Gen 2 V8 Trac. I've looked at the Tacoma. They're OK, but leather upholstery isn't available and I prefer leather seats. The Ridgeline is ugly, but otherwise a decent truck. I do like the Nissan Frontier. It's gotten some decent reviews in recent years. I've not looked at one up close or driven one, but I like the way it can be optioned, so if I can't find a decent used Gen 2 Trac, I might look at the Frontier.

I really don't want an F150, but then again, the "King Ranch" edition is one sweet truck! I could be tempted with that.

The F-150 will not fit in my garage. The ST does, and for what I occasionally need a 5 passenger truck for, the ST is fine and the F-150 is overkill.

I suspect my needs, profile and desires are common. But, alas Ford seems to not care about folks like me.

TJR

Train Trac, I agree. I have no use for a full size truck. I don't tow anything and I only use the bed during the occasional trip to home depot. The ST is a great vehicle for me...

A 4 door Ranger with Ecoboost would be awesome...unless it looks like a Ridgeline!

I dont care if it gets 50mpg. I dont need or want a stinking full size truck. I never wanted a truck until I noticed the Trac.

Thats the reason I sucked it up and got my 2010 STA...... Simply NO CHOICE in my eyes !!

Todd Z

Thats the reason I sucked it up and got my 2010 STA...... Simply NO CHOICE in my eyes !!

thats the way to do it.

i too have been thinkin of my next truck. in about three or four years i plan to purchase something else and hopefully keep my ST if the wheels havent fallen off yet. i would certainly

like to buy a 2010 STA so by then four years down the road it wont be too used but if not i have thought about the frontiers. i do like the newest generation.

I have no use for a full size truck. I (rarely) tow anything and I only use the bed during the occasional trip to home depot (and the occasional fridge etc.). The ST is a great vehicle for me...

That's why I did the same - gave back my '07 (lease) and purchased my 2010 STA. I plan to have it a lo o o o ong time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new 02 and kept it till last October. I had been looking for an STA just surfing the webs. Not that there was anything wrong with the 02, just wanting an STA ya know? Found this cherry 08 sitting in a Chevy dealership. It is the silver burch. Only had 15K on it and looked like brand new. Turns out the owner was a young man who worked at the dealership and needed to down size to buy a house. I was able to sit with him in his office. He pulled up all the records and called it his "baby". Had never been smoked in, ate in and the back seat hadn't been sat in. Clean as a whistle, like new. Had to come up with 22K and change, but since Ford had not changed the cosmetics thru 2010, everyone thinks it's a 2010. He had matched the tint in the front door glass to the back.....thats cool. I dissed the stock tonneau for a color matched ARE. I love this truck and give it more attention than my dear wife gets. You can take a look at it on the ST of the Week currently on post. Don't pay any attention to the goofy Halloween outfit please. See ya later.

The sport trac really is a unique style, especially the first gens, the bed shape, with the tie downs, power rear window, and the cab shape, they're all very unique. I wish they would separate it a little more from the explorer, but they can't do that if they don't make it anymore. I'm just gonna try to keep mine as long as possible. Lol

There's just NOTHING out there with the configuration of the ST as far as I'm concerned. I'll keep mine('02 Gen2 V 6) until something comparable or better comes along. In the meantime, I'm maintaining the ST in the best shape I can afford.....