1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Valvoline Fuel System Cleaner or Gumout Gas Mileage Improver

Thread in 'Fuel and MPG' started by J Piroth, May 30, 2006.

1. J Piroth

J Piroth Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

Pep Boys has a coupon in the paper whereby both are free after rebate. so...

Has anyone used either?

Did they do any good? Any harm?

I've always thought these pour-in "system cleaners" were probably a waste of money. But since they're free, I'm considering giving them a try.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2006
  2. troy malone

troy malone Active Member

LUCAS oil makes a fuel additive that comes in a 32 oz bottle for about $9.. i used it in my 01 4X4 last weekend and drove over 500 highway miles and averaged 20 mpg.. was getting around 17..

3. OFF TRAC

OFF TRAC Active Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

I second the Lucas fuel additive, my father uses it on his 1997 Peterbuilt with Cat Engine and I use it on my 2002 ST. Improves engine response, supposed to help fuel burn more efficient cleans out the intakes and such and has given me constant on the highway mileage of between 20-22 on a speed average of 75 mph.

I also use Lucas Motor Oil additive in place of 1qt of oil every oil change mixed in with Mobil 1 Syntec or High mileage clean 5000 and Lucas Transmission and gear additive My ST has 116148 miles on her and no engine, fuel, gear or transmission problems.

My father also has used such additives on his PETE/CAT and has had no major problems, went well over 1 million miles before a "complete engine refub" done as a "tune up", not because it needed to be repaired/fix.

Edit: I must note that I do have a free flow custom exhaust & K&N filter which may play a part in the constant 20-22 highway miles average, but I do notice a differance of about 1.5 or so on trips I don't use the Lucas Fuel additive and the truck seems not to pur as smoothly when just running on the 87 oct.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2006
  4. RodgerGeorgia Tellefson

RodgerGeorgia Tellefson Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

Use the Royal Purple Fuel System Treatment; Great stuff.

5. Jeremiah Morgan

Jeremiah Morgan Active Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

Chevron/Techron...The best I have ever used...

6. Richard L

Richard L Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

Fuel injector cleaners only work if your fuel system and injectors are dirty. Simply buying good quality gasoline with detergent additives will help keep your fuel system and injectors clean. It is a good idea to run a dose of fuel injector cleaner every year just to clean up any deposits that may have formed over the previous year.

...Rich

7. Deleted deleted

Deleted deleted Well-Known Member

ditto RichardL.... I have NEVER bought any of those add-in cleaners. Buying quality gasoline will do the same job.

8. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Member

I'm reading all this good stuff and thinking at the same time about reading in my owner manual that for does not recommend using any additive cleaners and only recommends 86 octane regular gas .I think its 86 LOL. Regular gas anyway . My friend is a auto mechanic and he uses a injector cleaner in his truck but it's not a ford . I have 84,200 miles on my 07 and it runs great ,only thing is i need to run it on the highway once in a while ,right now just around town and I know that isn't too good my mileage is down from 15 and 16 to 14 but it seems to run just as good as before .