1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Valve Body Gasket

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Jacob Hayes, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Jacob Hayes

Jacob Hayes Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine

I've getting an oil leak driver side, looks like between the valve body and cover. Therefore, I'm thinking I need to replace the gasket.

Do we have a project on this? I'd really prefer to have something guiding me when I'm getting this deep in my truck. Anything else I should do when I'm in there?

2. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Howmany miles on the trans. You migh want to upgade the whole valve body. New elec servos and all.
    You can also increase the epc presure. That will help with a more solid shift. Saves clutch wear, frm soft slipping shifts.
    Use an allen wrench and back out the center adjuster 1/4 of a turn, No more than 1/2 turn. This will increase the shift pressure to be more positive, epc1.jpg
    Also I purchesd a 4x4 pan and filter from dorman, Amazon cost about $50. Holds almost 2 extra qts of fluid. Also has a drain plug. Saves a messy driveway. This for the 5 speed V6 trans. You dont say what you have.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. Jacob Hayes

Thanks for the reply Eddie, you made it clear I'm failing to be clear.

It's not the transmission leaking, it's the engine oil. There's a seam along the drivers side of the of the engine block. I thought maybe the valve cover was the right terminology. It's not far from the PCV valve, but I think it's the gasket nearby leaking, not the valve. After I turn the truck off there's a few drops land on the exhaust pipe that runs under and away from the truck, causing a little smoke. I just got my oil changed, it showed a little low at 3.5k miles. So I'm just keeping an eye on it.

4. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Jacob,,sorry,,I was having one my brain farts...LOL
    Happens when I speed read.....:confused:

5. swshawaii

swshawaii Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

If you've ruled out a leaking PCV, valve cover leaks are very common with the 4.0L SOHC. Almost always occurs near the bottom at the rear of the valve covers next to the exhaust manifold heat. Not too difficult, just time consuming in very confined space with lot's of parts that have to be loosened or removed. Make sure you have a long 1/4" extension, universal, and 8mm socket for the valve cover bolts. I've already replaced my passenger side and believe the driver side may need replacing soon. Getting the rusty EGR removed appears to be the biggest challenge on the driver side. Good luck.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...er-gasket-job-some-notes.379896/#post-3254533

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  6. Jacob Hayes

Convenient, I'm getting a P0401 code that might clear up with a clean EGR valve. Thanks for the info

7. Cloud 9

Cloud 9 Member 1st Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

8. Cloud 9

Cloud 9 Member 1st Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

There is a step by step on YouTube, I just changed both sides, common problem for 4.0