V8 Manifold bolts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Upton

Reaction score
I know of everyones issue with the broken manifold bolts. My questions are, do the 2010s have the same issue or did ford correct it by then? If not does the 5 year 60k mile warranty cover fixing these if I do have this issue. I ask because I have 56k miles on my trac and should I get them checked? I cant say I hear what I know is a leak at this point but at times I think I hear the dreadful ticking that makes me wonder. Thanks all! Jim

The ticking is most likely the cam phasers, an issue well-known to all Ford dealership service departments. Service Manager at a local dealership told me to my face a few months ago that the noise is normal to the 4.6L and 5.4L 3V engines and that Ford will not allow (read pay) him to fix them. You may log your concern at your local dealership to see if they've got a different opinion. A used oil analysis report will ease your mind about your engine's condition. See my article in the Project section or PM me for assistance with that. Chances are that your engine's in as groovy shape as mine is - it's just got that annoying rattle.

Do you hear the ticking at cold start up? Mine would only tick at start up, even with two broken studs it would seal up when hot. Dealer did the driver side manifold at 65,000 and just did the passenger side at 75,000 which they had to pull the engine out. Thank God I bought a powertrain ESP warranty!!! Bill would have been around $2300. One pricey manifold!!! If I were you and you plan on keeping your trac, BUY the warranty!! So far dealer has replaced both manifolds, driveshaft, front wheel bearings, rear ABS tone ring.

My engine has never had any rattles though. Nothing but Mobil 1 synthetic

(Bump) and repeating Jupton's question:

Does anyone know if the 2010 Tracs have the issues with the exhaust manifold bolts? Did Ford re-design or change anything?

Mark, not sure why your dealer needed to pull the engine just to change a manifold other than they were taking advantage of the fact that you had a warranty that would pay for it. My dealer changed both manifolds under the Ford powertrain warranty and did it with the engine in the vehicle. Both sides had broken studs but they were able to remove them without pulling the engine. The driver side manifold went first and about a year later they did the passenger side. Just as an FYI, the problem was also prevalent on the F-150 including the 5.4L 3V which is even more difficult to deal with (less space) than our STs.

The rear studs on the passenger side were broke, no room at all. They had to get approval from the Ford warranty people first with pics. Same dealer did the driver side with out pulling engine. Sport tracs do have updated studs and manifolds, but I doubt it will help much.

The studs are to small at only 6mm I think, my new Mustang 5.0 exhaust studs look twice as big in diameter!

I am leaning towards the cam phasers going off of what Vic is saying. It is very slight and does it when warm also. Thanks guys, but do we know if they changed anything on the 2010 or are all the same from 2007-2010. Thanks again, Jim

All studs on both sides of my '07 were changed, and several even had to be drilled out. Was covered under the 60k emissions warranty and the manifolds were warped and replaced as well. The engine remained in the bay and they accessed it all by removing the inner fender wells. Not sure if they updated the studs later on, but I have only seen people with the V8 in the '07 tracs reporting the problems. And really they didn't fight too hard on the replacement under warranty, so I figure they are aware of the issue.

If it isn't covered by the 60k warranty, there is also a 8yr 80k emissions warranty that the exhaust manifolds should be covered by.