Used Cars To Avoid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana Lynds

Reaction score
Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2016 used cars to avoid... The 2007 Explorer Sport Trac

made the list of below-average overall reliability along with multiply other trucks and cars

made by Ford. They had certain F150, F250, Mustangs, and certain Explorers that made the list.

Purchased a 2005 P.T. CRUSIER with 28,000 miles on it 3 years ago and starting to have

issues with that and that made the list. Looks like I'll be single again and maybe someone

else can teach her how to put gas in a car.

Good Luck buying a used auto this list that consumer reports puts out consists of make model and year and that list is very long.

I never liked Consumer Reports Vehicle reviews....They tend to concentrate on issues that most consumers don't concern themselves with. Back in 2001, one female Consumer Reports reviewer did not have a clue about the functionality, utility or purpose of the Sport Trac?

...Rich

I stopped trusting CR a long time ago. I believed them on a lawnmower I purchase that was turned out to be awful and also on a TV. I have looked at the supposed rating on many of my vehicles and I have never had problems in the areas they claim are problem areas for those specific vehicles. I have no idea where they get their "consumer" reviews from on vehicles, but I trust the JD Power ratings much more that the CR ones..

Rant over.

I hate CR for car reviews. It would be great if they were better at it, because they're one of the only TRULY independent review organizations out there, but unfortunately I just think their criteria are often pointless and ill-suited to what the review should be trying to accomplish.

I've just seen too many times where they criticize a truck because it doesn't ride like an Accord or knock a sports car because of something irrelevant like trunk space. Different types of vehicles are built to do different things, but they seem to judge them all on the same one-size-fits-all scale.

All I can report is that our 2004 has had zero major problems since new. It currently has over 250k on the clock. But we don't defer maintenance. I think once a car sells "cheap" it goes into "weak" hands. People who can only afford the price to buy the car, but likely to defer maintenance. They basically run them until the wheels fall off. If you stay on top of maintenance issues, even a Range Rover can be reliable.

This weekend I'm rebuilding the suspension to restore ride quality. I'm also in a state where snow and ice are rare, so the underside of my '04 is clean and absolutely rust free. That probably has a lot to do with its condition as well. I'd never buy a used car that has spent any significant part of its life in a snow state. The rust issues look nightmarish.

Latest posts