Urgent Help needed!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorin W

Reaction score
Yesterday I had the intake manifold gasket replaced and the truck lost almost completely the power :cry:. The engine had no problem with power before even if it has 260,000 miles. The reason I decided to do the gasket replacement was based on error code and check light engine. It doesn't stall but I can barely can get to 50mph floored. The mechanic has trouble finding the issue. Any idea or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. It's not a Ford dealership facility.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaccume line, Elbow or Bad cat converter...Check fuel pressure, Check MAF if clean.

A lot of things can happen when you have major work....

Todd Z

Make sure all the sensors on the intake and MAF & T/P sensor are plugged in if not then plug in and disconnect Bat. to erase memory.

Thank you for advice and tips! Problem is solved. Just a weird coincidence ?!? it turned out to be a faulty fuel pump that once replaced took care of the issue. At 261,000 miles probably was a good idea to get a new one anyway. He checked the fuel pressure and was a little low (34 instead of minimum 35), as I said the engine was running just with way less power. For 300 bucks I got a new fuel pump, does it sound as a reasonable price? The good news is that the engine looks great as per mechanic feedback. I take a good care of my truck and I hope to get to 500,000 miles on the same engine.

Eddie, the engine was doing the same with and without the MAF sensor.

The whole truck feels a bit more tight, less shaky when idle-ing but still seems a tiny fraction slower than before I got the work done. Is there any re-learning gear shifting process that I should perform? When I accelerate from a stand still I don't feel anymore the same take off power but the difference is not much.

$300 installed is not bad. You got your wear out of it for sure. You could try removing the neg battery cable for 15 minutes. Let it idle till normal temp. Then start driving it the way you want, it to run and shift.. The ECU's adaptive learning will relearn your driving style.

silly question, do I start the truck before I remove the neg cable (will run on alternator?) or after I put it back?

Paul is right...engine off

FYI,,,,, for those that dont know. on modern computer controled cars. Never pull the battery cable while running. It can create electrical problems. With the altenator,sensors, the ECU, etc.

In the old days of carburators, electronic and point type ignitions. No problem. Used to check the charging system that way before I owned test equipment....