Under carriage rattle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals. I have developed a rather loud metallic rattleing noise in my undercarriage. I have banged on everything I can find to bang on with my large leather mallet with no success untill today. I was under the rear rechecking the strut/spring assemblies without any success when I noticed a metal tube outbound jof the assembly attached to the lower contlol arm and when I touched it it moved. I shook it around and it was loose and ratteled. I checked the other side and found it to be the same. It apprears to have a blot boing up through it and nuts & washers on both ends the bottom end going through the control arm. Does anyone have any idea what these are and their purpose? If so are they supposed to be loose and rattling

Thanks for all help and infomation,

Jim:soap:

Tie rod bushing? sway bar bushing?

I second the sway bar end links. So far I've had to replace one side on the rear and both on the front.

Thanks for the imput, I went to Oreilly's & they looked it up and said it was called a strut stabilizer. I got 2 of them for under $33.00. Thanks again.

jim

Latest posts