UHAUL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERIK HUDSON

Reaction score
I just found out that U-Haul does not allow their trailers to be towed by any Ford Explorer variations. When I asked the person helping me that stated "It had something to do with the high roll-over rate by Ford Explorers". If my memory is right that was due to defective tires and was at least 3 yrs ago. Does anyone work for U-Haul and give me a better answer than that?

Last time I trird to rent one they said they didn't because of possible damage to the computer by their wiring ????????????? :blink:

I have never rented one myself but I brought one back for a friend from Alabama to Indiana (428 miles) and it pulled grate! I didn't even know it was back there. No problems. When I brought it back nothing was said. I did see on the paper that no uhaul will be rented to someone using an explorer. I didn't think anything about it but I saved my friend $160. He did buy my gas and I had to go back there anyway.

Eric, do a search on this site and you will find loads of info about Uhaul. Stay away from them, they're a bunch of idiots.

I tried renting a tow dolly from them a couple of months ago to pull a Bronco 2 with my 02 Explorer and they would not rent it to me. I said screw them and did it the redneck way and pulled it with a strap. Good thing I was only going a few miles.

Uhual is the worst company i have ever dealt with, first they wouldnt rent the trailers then the uhual truck i rented broke down in the middle of the desert when it was about 110 degrees outside. Not fun! :angry:

And all my old roomates have uhual stories to tell too.

Go with anybody else but them and make sure the equipment is in good condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever rented ANYTHING from U-Haul that did not have something wrong with it?? I have rented from them quite alot in the past and always had something wrong like no brake lights, bad brakes, etc. And they're worried about the perceived Explorer problem?!? What a bunch of freakin morons!!!

UHaul sucks! They are a bunch of tools; actually, "tools" is a complement. A tool implies something advanced and with a purpose. They are the lowest, most basic form of tool...maybe something like a "wedge" or an "inclined plane"

TJR

I was told by local Uhaul it had to do with the trailer hitch on my SportTrac. They had instances where pulling a trailer cause the hitch to separate from the vehicle? Any recall history of that happening? Made me wonder if my '08 can tow a recreational trailer?

I was told by local Uhaul it had to do with the trailer hitch on my SportTrac. They had instances where pulling a trailer cause the hitch to separate from the vehicle? Any recall history of that happening? Made me wonder if my '08 can tow a recreational trailer?

No it was part of the Firestone issue, Nothing to do with a hitch. UHAUL will not rent to an explorer. The OEM hitch is fine as long as you follow speed limits and load capacity. Period.

Just 5 years ago When I got my 2001 ST Gen1 the first thing I did was get a hitch installed at the only place I knew around here. After installation and having paid the bill they informed me they would not rent me a trailer Guess who UHAUL ------ the lowest slim on earth.

No it was part of the Firestone issue, Nothing to do with a hitch. UHAUL will not rent to an explorer. The OEM hitch is fine as long as you follow speed limits and load capacity. Period.

I saw this post on the Facebook page the other day and I was curious if anything had changed since it had been years (still had my Gen 1 or had just got my Gen 2) since I'd looked to see if UHaul had updated the restriction. Prior it seemed that just the name "Explorer" sent up the block on rental, but it looks like the current generation of Explorer is allowed to rent from them. Doesn't seem fair that this generation is allowed to rent, where the Gen 2 which is of a different design totally over the Firestone era Explorers cannot.

Latest posts