UHaul will not let me rent a trailer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will be moving across the country due to being in the military. My wife and I had already decided that we will take my ST because we can carry more stuff than her Mazda Tribute. Well our kids have been spending time with her parents before the move and have been SPOILING them like all grandparents do.

We have moved several times due to the military and we know everything that we need to take (which is a lot of stuff) but the added kid stuff is going to be more than what I can stuff in the ST. So I figured I would call UHaul and just rent a trailer. Since I drive a "Explorer" they refuse to rent to me. They claim they have had to many accidents with that type of vehicle. That rubbed me just the wrong way. I tried to convince them very which way I could. From telling them I have a CDL lic. to being a truck driver in the military and driving a truck that carries over a 90 ton load. Still a no go. My mother-in-law says I should sue them for discrimination (she is from Cali). Personally I would like to get a hold of one of the regional mangers and get them to explain themselves.

Now the wife is having me check on a Leer cover or just buy our own little trailer. Anyone have a solution to this. I am even leaning towards mailing stuff to our new address (once we get one).

Do a search through the forums, there was plenty of discussion about this a few years ago.

It's BS but it's also their call.

For the last six yrs I have been outside the mainland US, so some things I am just now catching up on. I do agree with you that is really is BS.

Call a different rental. If uhaul is all there is. Call a different one and tell them it is a 4 door ranger. Take the explorer badges off the trac. Some here have got past uhaul that way. There is no such thing as a discrim suit for type of vehicle you own.

If at all possible dont give uhaul any bussiness..

Yeah I am looking around for another company right now. The Tribute is out of the question because the GOVT is shipping it from Hawaii to Florida for us. We will not see it again till it gets there.

I did some research some time ago on that when i was moving.. some here on there website they do have a Policy that they are not authorized to rent trailers that are going to be towed by an explorer sport trac or explorer.. so i rented a truck instead. They did let me rent a car hauler though.

Uhaul are priceless. They wouldn't rent me a car dolly to tow my Pathfinder with my dads F-150 that has the 5.4l engine claiming the tow vehicle wasn't big enough to tow my Pathfinder.

So when I proceeded to tell them that he tows a 10,000lb travel trailer with it, they proceeded to change their story to

"well, when we enter the tow vehicle and the vehicle to be towed in the "system" it tells us that combination won't work due to the types of vehicles being towed"

then the guy says (and he argued this for 20minutes after I told him my Transfer case has a neutral position)

" you can't tow a 4x4 vehicle on a tow dolly because you'll burn the tranny".......

So if that's the case, why would people buy 4x4s that have a transfer case that has a neutral possition to tow behind their RVs?

They crack me up. The guy was telling me that the explorers are accident prone and the are tired of fixing their trailers. At that point I was laughing my a** off on that and told him if the govt. trust me enough to drive a 50 ton truck and trailer with a 90 ton tank on the trailer, I think I could handle a little 6' trailer. They don't care what lic. I have. I am not allowed to use their trailer cause I drive a ST.

i towed my f150 with my sport trac.. I did not even feel it was there! What the hell are they talking about. You need to find a back ass country place thats rents them, like a small car dealership or farm eqiupment rental place.. they don't care about that stuff.

Some Uhaul places do let you rent their stuff ( the smart owners/renters know its a bs rule)

but go with Penske or Budget since they do want your business.

or use these folks.... you load and unload they provide the driver and the contract with them locks in your price. They don't charge by the pound but by the feet of the trailer you use. And you don't have to have alot of stuff they only charge by the FOOT so if you only use 2 ft of the trailer then that's all you get charged for.

Ups Freight is who the drivers are, and we used them to move my stuff from Az to PA

was waaay cheaper than rentals plus the cost of gas or diesel we would have had to pay and use. It made things alot easier and the truck was dropped two days prior to pick up ( had alot of stuff) and it arrived the day after we got back home! Plus they gave us two days to unload the trailer after delivery and emailed us the link so we could track our stuff in rouite!

Great Service!

I will be picking up the trailer in Los Angles. I will have the ST shipped from Honolulu to Los Angles then drive to Tampa. I need to look into Budget.

What's really great about U Haul is that they will sell us a U-Haul hitch for the sport trac. I know, cuz I have one on mine. Even came with the U-Haul sticker already attached. Jeeze, I called them a few years back and asked about buying a used U-Haul trailer. The customer service guy just threw a fit. They aparently don't sell used trailers they destroy them he said. He was such a knot head that I just told him "if you won't sell them, I guess I'll just steal one" I am sure he's still bounceing off the walls. Wow, I was just inquiring. I don't know but Buying a trailer may be an:cool: option. Sell it when you get moved. Could turn out to be almost a wash. I wish you well.

I bought a 6X9 utility trailer from a guy in the military back in 84. He moved from NY to NM. He paid 900$ for the trailer, saved him 500$ on a uhaul (uhaul rent=$1400) and then sold it to me for $800. So his trip cost him $100. I still have the trailer.

They apparently don't sell used trailers they destroy them

given the condition of most of their crap, this should be a very economical undertaking for them. :)

Buy a trailer.... then sell it on the other end for the cost minus what the uhaul rental would be. I'll bet you sell it quickly.

GP