Two Part Epoxy...That SMOKES?????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chops

Reaction score
I had granite countertops installed in my new kitchen Tuesday.

The fabricator mixed up some two part epoxy to glue the two seams together...no big deal, I have used diffferent brands of epoxy over the years and wasn't paying too much attention as to what he was doing ( I was focused on how he was hiding-prepping the seam).

He was pressing down on the seam to keep it level while the epoxy was setting up, after 4 minutes or so I heard moderately loud popping and cracking - I looked at where the sound was coming from - the mixed batch of epoxy that he didn't use was popping-cracking- and smoking!

He didn't devulge much info at all about it as he was somewhat secretive about much of his process, and I didn't think about it until after he left, but what was that?

Maybe I've lived a sheltered life and this is common knowledge, but anyone have a clue as to what type epoxy pops, cracks, and has smoke wisps rising from it??

Sounds like strong stuff!!

No idea, but I wouldn't want to breathe whatever toxic whatever is probably in that smoke. :eek::D

I had granite installed as well. My installer mixed up the same stuff. Not a horrible smell but not a good smell by any means.

At any rate, you have to have a license to buy the compound. He mixed chip colors in mine to hide the seem. Did a fantastic job.

epoxy will do that if left in that state. we had a leftover 1/2 gal of 2 part floor paint all but catch fire when left in the pail. when spread this, it can dissapate the heat. when it is sitting in mass quatity, heat builds up and will smoke...

We had granite countertops installed last January. Don't remember anything unusual about their epoxy but it's definately good stuff.

Oh any we love the new granite.

All epoxies generate a great deal of heat during the cure process, the faster cure time epoxies get very hot. I've used gallons of the stuff building boats and found that as little as one ounce left in a plastic cup will get hot enough to melt the cup. Solution is to spread it out on some scrap wood or submerge it in a pan of water.

Latest posts