Turn Signal Switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvdswan

Supporting Member
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2002 1st Gen
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I've been doing some research on seeing if I can replace my turn signal switch with one that is bent in the opposite direction. I read on FB that a Ranger owner swapped theirs with a F-150. The purpose is really only to keep my left knee from hitting the arm while driving.

1709917584478.png

The individual stated this, "Message to all (98-03) ranger guys with a 5 speed, take the blinker stock off a 96-02 F150 and screw it into your Ranger, it makes a big difference having it point up instead of down, especially for you single cab guys over 6 foot that don't have room to move the seat. The downward pointing one always hits the knees, the f150 stock feels nicer on the hands and is completely out of the way!"

So, looking into this I found my 02 T/S switch has the same shape connectors on the back as the f-150. I also found this thread...
https://www.ranger-forums.com/gener...0-combination-switch-1998-ford-ranger-159016/

Searching for parts I came across this...
https://www.amazon.com/AUTOHAUX-Mul...trac+turn+signal+switch,automotive,158&sr=1-2

Screenshot 2024-03-08 0927111.png

I'm going to order this and swap it out with mine that angles down. It should be plug n play since it is listed. I'll let everyone know.

Good idea. Another benefit of the upward angle is that you can reach it without taking your hand all the way off the wheel, if needed. Funny, i didnt know the turn signal switch and hazard light button were one piece.

Ok, I will confirm this does work with the switch I listed above. Hazards, blinkers, washer and all wiper settings work as designed.

Before... you can see the T/S switch below the headlamp switch.
IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

After.... and now you don't
IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

To start, remove the lower panel, there are (4) 1/4" head screws, 2 outside edges (skinny arrows) and 2 holding the hood release latch (fat arrow, center)

IMG_2550(1).jpg

Next is a steel plate that has (5) 8mm head screws...
IMG_2553(1).jpg

I removed the center dash bezel just in case for access... (2) Phillips head screws.
IMG_2551.JPG

Next is the dash bezel, (5) 1/4" head screws, 3 on top and 2 at bottom.
IMG_2549(1).jpg

IMG_2554(1).jpg

Next is the steering shroud, (3) Phillips head screws and not marked the tilt wheel lever (3/32" wrench might work but you might need to use pliers or channel locks but this can mess up the handle so be careful gripping the lever. There is loc-tite on the threads).
IMG_2548(1).jpg

Once the steering cover is off you have (2) T20 screws at top and bottom to remove the switch and disconnect the (2) connectors.
IMG_2555(1).jpg

Install your new switch and reverse the process.

**NOTE** I did test operation before screwing switch on column, then again after it was installed on the column. This is just to ensure operation and to make sure after bolting up it works as well.

Your done.

Attachments

• IMG_2553(1).jpg
    IMG_2553(1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2554(1).jpg
    IMG_2554(1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts