True duals, Maybe not

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Kind of an update to my post a few months back. I have been puting $$ aside and researching parts. To build a true dual exhaust from the rt y-pipe back.

After hearing a true dual 4.0L 'stang today, not so sure.

Behind him for a little way I was listening to his. We happened into the same store. When I talked with him. I found that he had High flow cats and X-pipe aft. The difference would be the length of pipe, and the stang puts his magna-flow mufflers at the rear.

The trac mufflers underneath with tailpipes.

I know from experiance that the varibles, will make a difference in performance and sound.

The thing is After hearing his true dualed 4.0L. Using components I considered. It really sounded like crap. Some weird sputter like sound. But it wasnt a miss. High pitched not deep.

My magna-flow single cat back and RT-ypipe sounds better. Also some tracs with single in dual out sound better.

Thats alot of $$$ to spend and have end results like his. I didnt tell him, how awful his 'stang sounded from the rear. I just thanked him for sharing...

Now for some re-thought....:banghead:

When I redid my exhaust this past summer I had just the Magnaflow muffler under the truck with no tails for a day before I could bend them, it sounded like total crap. Bent the dual 2.5" tailpipes and it did a total 180, truck sounds awesome now. Most exhaust sound better with more pipe behind the muffler. Atleast on the 4.0L it does. Your right though, too much money to take a chance. maybe one day I'll bend and weld up myself some true dual exhaust out of regular exhaust pipe, don't wanna hack up the RT stainless for mock up.

Exhausts on V6's are hard to get to sound right. The only luck I ever had was on my 93 4.0 Explorer where I just replaced the stock muffler with a 16" Magnaflow. Good luck with you endeavours

Jerry & Scott,

I was going to make a flange to bolt to the rt-y. Not cut it. Then stager high flow builit cats and x-pipe after. Or get RT to make one. The x-pipe would eqaulize the flow and a place for O2.

Then twin short magna-flows stagered and 2 tail pipes. or a 2in/2out magnaflow.

The one thing I know is mufflers at the rear do make a different sound. Back in 1969, I had a '63 ford with a 406FE tripower. It had the oem long cast iron headers. The oem mufflers were @ the rear. Even with thrush glass packs in the oem location. It sounded good but not as deep as the FE big blocks of the ERA. That had mufflers before the axle.

The $$ involved, is. About $400 in parts before a shop charge to build and weld. I never did contact RT about them building the dual cat x pipe. Knowing the cost of parts, though for pre fab. Most likely more, $$.

Im real leary after hearing that 4.0L 'stang. It sounded more like a ricer.

Agree, have never heard the distinct "rumble" of any six. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I did what l1tech did when I had my Ranger, except I used a Flowmaster 3chamber muffler and I changed the pipes to 2 1/2in from the cat back. It made a low rumble that many people would ask me about.

Your not going to get a V8 sound from a V6.

If your using a X-pipe or a Y-pipe, your not making true duals. With todays technology, going with "true" duals would be for sound and not for power. If you like the sound of Pop Pop Pop Pop when you get on it, then good luck.

Phil,

If you think x-pipe is not true duals. Then niether is an H-pipe. That most all V-8s come with an H-pipe or in the old days, a drone pipe.

The X-pipe is a better way to equalizer left/right exhaust pulse. For better exhaust extraction. Do some research..

They actually stop the pop-pop you may hear. From some performace muflers that have an H-pipe.

Contrary to some believe it is still true duals with an H or X. Also worth a some TQ/HP. At low and mid range. Especialy with out tuned equal lenth long tube headers.

You want to hear pop-pop. Run glass packs, with over the axle tail pipes. With out an H or X.

Some of your modern catylitic car that pop. Can be caused by to much air injection with cats that have the air pump. Or to lean. With alot of oxygen hitting the hot cats.

My change of mind is only 'cause that 4.0L 'stang. Sounded like rice...LOL

Eddie,

I don't think it's a fair to compare the sound of a 4.0L Mustang to our 4.0L Tracs. Mainly because of the difference in the location of the mufflers and length of the pipes. In my experience, both have a significant impact on the sound of the exhaust. The Trac's muffler is before the axle, and the Mustang's muffler/mufflers is/are after the axle, right at the rear of the vehicle. And of course, there's the difference in length of exhaust pipes with the difference in the then length of vehicles.

I have both a 2008 Mustang 4.0L V6, and an '04 Trac.

Shortly after I bought my Trac in '04, I had a FM Delta-Flow 40-series muffler installed. That added a nice, deep tone and rumble to the sound of the of my Trac's V6. I was even at a stoplight once next to a Corvette, and the driver complimented me on the sound of the Trac, and asked if it had a V8 in it. And that was after only replacing the muffler and tailpipe. A few years later, I added the R/T Y-pipe and high-flow cat, and that helped to deep the tone a bit more. The 40-series muffler lasted me for about seven years, and I replaced it last year with FM/DF 50-Series muffler. Still a deep tone, but not as loud in the cab at highway rpms.

Now as for my Mustang: Right after I bought it in 2009, I replaced the OEM muffler with a bolt-on axle-back FM American Thunder muffler (single exhaust). That improved the sound, but gave it a somewhat loud drone at highway speeds, and was raspy (pop-pop) when revving/accelerating. I grew tired of the drone and found the raspy sound too "ricey" for my tastes, so last year I replaced that with the Ford Racing true dual exhaust kit (<A HREF="http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9910">M-5230-V6</A>). This system is a bolt-on, true dual exhaust that replaces factory single exhaust from the header pipe back with an X-pipe, and duals all the way back, ending with the Ford Racing/Bullitt mufflers at the rear. I'm very happy with the improvement of the sound of the Mustang's 4.0L V6 after installing this system. No more highway drone, and no more "ricer" sound when revving/accelerating. Nice rumble at idle. However, I've heard from other Mustang owners that an H-pipe will give a bit deeper tone than an X-pipe, but I'm satisfied with my setup.

Do you know what kind of mufflers were on the Mustang that you listened to? There are a ton of different ones on the market for the Mustang, and they all have a different sound when installed on the V6.

I think that if you want to go true duals, then I'd stick with either Flowmaster mufflers or Magnaflow for the best sound, and consider an H-pipe rather than X-pipe for a deeper tone.

Or, maybe just go with a single-in/dual-out muffler and dual tail pipes.

TT,

The 'stang had magvaflows. Your right about an H sounds deeper than a X.

The X-pipe in my senario would be necessary for. I would have 2 built cats stagered after the RT-Y. Clearance issue. Need the X-pipe for full eqaulization. Mainly for the aft cat, O2 sensor bung in the middle.

Your right about mufflers before and after the axle sound. I stated that in this thread above.

Below are pics of convertors, use 2. The pic of the x-pipe needed. It will still be true duals with a 2in/2out muffler or 2 mufflers stagered.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for the clarification about your planned setup, Eddie. Sorry if I was repetitive regarding some of the points posted earlier. Just wanted to share my personal experiences with the 4.0L V6 in the Mustang and the Trac.

Thats cool TT.

Wow, you spent $1000 for your stang exhaust.....

Maybe if I get the $$ together. with mufler in front of the axle. Might soung ok. Just leary now.

My thoughts were to get a flange made. To bolt to the rt-y. The first cat would be left bank. Since the rt-pipe is longer. Then the right bank cat located @ a point of equal pipe to cat inlets. The offset/offset cats are for clearance and more of a straight line to the x-pipe.

I have measured the space after the rt-y. I dont think the oval shaped cats will work. The bullit cats come in 4500lb and 6500lb vehicle rating. One is spun subtrate. the other honey comb as in oem's. Both are 3 way catylyst.

Probably would be best with a twin core magnaflow muffler 2in/2out. The only unequal tubing would be the left tail pipe. Unless I use 2" tubing and run both on the right rear.

Trying to decide on 2" or 2.25" tubing. With duals 2.5" tubing would rob bottom and mid TQ. With this V6, and straight thru Magnaflow muffler.

I know it wont sound like a V8. Just dont want rice.

Any of that Idea makeany sense..??

Wow, you spent $1000 for your stang exhaust.....

Not really. Bought the FM single muffler for ~$180. Sold it for $100. Bought the Ford Racing exhaust for $580. Had it installed at my Ford dealer for $180. So total net spent on the exhaust was $840. I waited for the FR exhaust to go on sale at an online Mustang parts vendor (CJPonyparts.com). They had a 20%-off sale, and I pulled the trigger. Decided to have the dealer install it because (1), the back bumper required cutting on the driver's side, and I didn't want to mess that up and have to explain more $$$ shelled out for repairs to my wife, and (2) any FR parts installed at the dealer are warrantied for 12 months, 12K miles.

The reasons I chose the FR exhaust are that aside from cutting the bumper, it's a bolt-on dual exhaust system. I also listened to any different set-ups on YouTube and talked with other Mustang V6 owners about muffler brands & sounds. And finally, historically speaking, older muscle cars with OEM performance parts installed (Motorcraft, MOPAR, etc.) have traditionally held their value better than those with aftermarket parts. Since my pony's a limited edition model and I plan to keep it for a very long time, having FR parts on it will help retain value to a small degree when compared with non-OEM aftermarket parts.

$1000 for stang exhaust is nothing... Bassani full X Pipe setup sounds pretty sessy in a stang ;)

That's what my mom put in her stang during her mid-life crisis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4xiD-LA-F8

Theres a video of her talking about her car. Shes a mod on a stang forum. You can see my trac in the back ground :D

Latest posts