Travel Trailer Suggestions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriMaury Kimbrough

Reaction score
Hey guys! It's been a while.

The hubby and I are looking at purchasing a small travel trailer to take on a trip from AZ to FL in the fall. We want to stay around the 2500 - 3000 lb range and know that there are several options out there these days. We know from towing our boat (she weighs about 4500), that my boy can't handle much more than that. We are fond of the Scamp trailers, especially the 5th wheel version. We've actually seen an ST towing one of the these. The owner modified the bed and actually attached the frame of the truck. We didn't get to talk to the owner, we saw the truck/trailer in a parking lot, so I don't know exactly how they did it or how well it towes. Has anyone actually done this or seen it done?

I would like to hear what other travel trailer owners have and their experience with towing is. We have an 02, 4x2 with a 5-speed manual tranny so I would be espicailly interested in others with a similar configuration. What kind of trailer do you own? How much does it weigh? How does it do in the mountains? How much did your MPG's suffer?

As I mentioned, we've towed our boat with my truck, but he doesn't like it. Getting the boat out of the lake required some effort. He certainly did struggle. Our Bronco now towes the boat and using the Bronco for the travel trailer is an option, but taking the ST is our preference.

I appreciate any and all input.

Your weak link is the 5 speed manual. First gear in an Explorer/Ranger manual tranny ain't all that low. Unless you're on dead level ground you will need to tow in 4th gear even on the highway. I was looking at a small Zoom trailer at a trailer place near my office but I didn't have any money. Damn recession. I liked it though and the weight was right.

You are right, the tranny/clutch is the weak link in my truck. It took a while to learn how to get the boat out of the lake without burning the clutch. It really does need a lower gear in those situations.

I wish I would have taken a picture, didn't even think about it until it was too late.

You could swap in a 4.56 rear gear. With the OD 5 speed the mpg probably wouldn't be a lot less. You didn't say what gear you have now but in a 4x2 it is likely that it has 3.73.