Transmission Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some help or advice. For about a couple of weeks, I've noticed that my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 was lacking in take-off power. I would put it in drive and I would have to push the gas pedal quite a bit to get it going. Yesterday, I noticed that it would not shift gears. My speed was about 40 mph and the rpms was nearly 3000. Trying to ovetake a car, the car was really sluggish and would not pick up speed quickly. When I arrived home, there was a burning smell from the engine compartment. Upon checking the truck, the front wheel rims were so hot that you could barely touch them. There is also some oil leak on the bottom side of the transmission. I'm thinking that this may be a transmission problem but why are my front wheel rims so hot? Could this be a brake issue? Please help.

Seized brake calipers maybe? Jack the front up, put it in nuetral and see if you can turn the front tires by hand. the pistons in the calipers get pitted over time and make it very hard to slide in and out in there bore. Good luck, hope its easy to figure out.:supercool:

Mike,

I agree with RedRanger...You probably have s sticking caliper...perhaps both calipers are sticking.

You need to replace the brake pads, install rebuilt calipers, and flush the entire brake system including the rear brakes and put in new fluid. The rotors need to be inspected and possibly turned or replaced.

If you have never done this kind of brake work before, we can give you tips...If you do not want to attempt it yourself, go to sever independent shops and get estimates.

...Rich

Thanks for the assistance guys. I will take it to a local mechanic. I'm just hoping it is not the transmission as I've read many postings with people having problems with their transmissions.

May seem like an obvious question, but what's the transmission fluid level? Have you kept up with fluid changes on this 2001 truck?

Had the same problem last year on a trip. We got into stop and go traffic on the freeway. When I got off the freeway and onto arterial streets the truck would not go as it should. I stopped at a light and both front wheels had smoke comming from them. Luckily we were about a block from a ford garage. They lifted the truck and both front calipers were hung up. They replaced the calipers and pads. They said that the fact that we lived in a wet climate and didn't drive the truck much was the culprit. Apparently the brake fluid will draw moisture and if you don't use the brakes enough to warm the fluid and get the moisture to evaporate that that moisture will end up in the calipers and rust the pistions. This will cause them to hang up. Mine is also a 2001. Can't explain the tranny fluid on the pan. Is there any on the ground where you normally park? I just had our tranny serviced and it hasn't leaked a drop since we bought it new. Good luck, I'll bet my money on the calipers.

My 2001 calipers hung up to the point the pad welded to the rotor. Trashed the caliper, rotor, wheel, and spindle. I pull the calipers apart twice a year to clean and grease.

Poor design for a truck to be used in dirt and snow

Latest posts