Transmission leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel pilgrim 2

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with a tranny leak from the electrical connection passenger side rear? Mine is leaking. I have to take it in as I do not want to drop the pan to fix. I only have 53,000 KMs so it seemed strangw to me to be leaking. I?m taking it in next week and will get new fluid to top it back up. I am not thinking I will do a flush as the mileage is low.

Just google Ford TSB 14-0069. Known issue. A dealer should fix it for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brad. I checked with the dealer.

TSB does not mean that it is covered by warranty but rather it is intended to help service technicians identify issues and correct them.

^ True, and a very good point. Different from a safety recall, which is required by law to be fixed by the dealer free of charge.

There were several TSB?s on my ?07 & ?10. The local dealer fixed them for free. Guess it depends on the dealer.

Another good point. Found this short but good article linked below.

The Difference Between Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins

Just did this.

Had the dealer change just the oil in the trans pan, change the filter and while you are in there....change the leaky bulkhead. $250-ish.

For me, no need to powerflush my trans and rinse it with detergents. I stay away from all that because the first trans fluid change was not till 150K miles. I know not all the fluid is drained with just a pan change but I'll take that. Trans is running good and so no need to get in too deep.

When it comes to the transmission fluid change, I lean towards the dealer. Just to paranoid that an outside mechanic will use the wrong fluid. Probably the only thing I do at the dealer.

I've only done it twice now. I'm approaching 200K

bugsiegel,

I agree with your assessment and with the actions you took to repair the transmission leak.

I do not believe that transmission need a detergent flush, which seems to be what Ford dealers are pushing....It's just a gimmick to jack up the price of a transmission flush.

I am a big proponent of transmission flushes over conventional drop-the-pan fluid changes for a number of reasons that I have spoken about numerous times here.

I also agree with your paranoia regarding shops that may flush your tranny with the wrong fluid. I avoided this by asking in advance exactly what fluid would be used on my Sport Trac and then verified that it met the proper Mercon fluid specs. The Kwik Lube center I used for my Sport Tracs used a Pennzoil brand of Mercon-V fluid. I would never use some unknown brand because the Shop get's it at a discounted price.

An alternative method would be to ask the shop if you can bring the fluid of your choice to use and only pay for the labor for the flush. Of course many shops might balk at that, but you can always ask and some will be glad to accommodate your request....and if not, you can always walk away.

...Rich

I ended up getting quote from the closest dealer. They would not cover repair and the cost would be about $450 plus tax. Local highly rated tranny shop cost $310 all in. They did a complete diagnostic, fluid analysis, replaced the leaking electrical plug, flushed tranny and replaced filter and synthetic trans fluid (went with Ford synthetic fluid).

Have put on about 600 kilometres since Change and no leaks shifting perfect. :banana:

Mel

Latest posts