Transmission Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Toms

Reaction score
How do you determine if your transmission might be on its way out the door? I've had two issues with the trans in the past couple days. The other day while in the automatic car wash while in neutral, truck just turned off. And today, I've noticed a delay after putting it into reverse. I have an 04 STA with about 190,000 miles, original motor/trans. No issues while driving.

The turning off thing is NOT transmission related, Maybe wiring is getting old and got wet.

Slow reverse could be a sign of low fluid, old fluid, or time for a service, But with 190 I don't think I would touch it.

Todd Z

I agree with Todd Z,

Stalling or shutting off is not a transmission problem.

As for slow shifting into to reverse....that is probably a fluid issue. Low fluid, burn fluid, or even the wrong fluid could be the cause. I would recommend that you get the transmission flushed rather than just dropping the pan. Dropping the transmission pan only changes about 50% of the fluid while the flush replaces 95% or more of the old fluid. Also be sure to refill with the proper Mercon-V fluid.

A fluid flush typically cost about $100-$120 depending on the shop....Ford dealers will probably charge you more.

...Rich