1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Transmission fluid change schedule?

Thread in 'Maintenance / Service' started by Wayne Costin, May 7, 2010.

1. Wayne Costin

Wayne Costin Active Member

What is the suggested schedule for changing the transmission fluid on a 2007 V6? My Trac has 42,000 miles and I took it in this morning for an oil change. The called and recommended a transmission fluid change? I questioned them and they said it is recommended every 30,000 miles? Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Gavin Allan

Gavin Allan Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

I would change it now. Even if this is the only time you ever change it, it would be helpful.

You are lucky- my dealer REFUSES to change the fluid on my '07. He said Ford won't let them do it because it is "sealed for life".

3. Wayne Costin

Wayne Costin Active Member

I am just curious as to what the specs say? I was thinking of changing at around 60k miles, but not every 30k.

4. Doug Roland

Doug Roland Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine

I was told at my last oil change (dealer), it should have been done at 60,000 m. They didn't mention anything to me about a "sealed" trans.

5. Korey Kreiter

Korey Kreiter Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

V8 (6 spd.) is sealed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
  6. Jim parnell

Jim parnell Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine

When I bought my 07 V6 as a certified pre owned, the manager & service mgr both said the fluid was good for 100k, so I made the manager sign a statement to that effect before I bought. I don't believe it, but they signed the statement. I would change it before you hit 50K

7. george dunphy

george dunphy Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine

I just had mine changed and flushed in my 08 v6 35k miles. The schedule for maintainance called for it at 30k. I confirmed this at the dealer. I have a 6k mile trip from Denver to Nova Scotia planed anyway this summer. Figured it would be a good idea.

8. Brad B

Brad B Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

Straight otta the maintenance book with my 07 v8. 100k even under severe conditions.

9. Jon OData

Jon OData Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Sealed doesn't mean the fluid is good forever, it just means there isn't a dipstick or a way to fill it without the flushing machine.

10. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

The 6 speed is not really sealed. There is a plug where the dip tube should be. There is a small dip tube reader on it.

You can still drop the pan and refill. You will need a funnel and long hose or a pump to refill it.

It wont hurt the trans to do this. Just use the proper fluid. I would use motorcraft since you will be mixing it with what is in the converter.

If you are a spirted driver. I would definitly, at least change what is in the pan.

I dont care what the manual says about sealed for life or 100K. They dont warranty the trans that long. Fresh fluids dont hurt at all, IMO..

11. Jon OData

Jon OData Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

After checking the manual on my '08, what I found is that every 30k Ford calls for a tranny flush and filter on the TorqShift transmission. This is what is used behind the diesel on 3/4 ton and up trucks. All others don't call for a flush until 150k. If you plan on keeping your truck for a while, then like Eddie says, it won't hurt to do it more often and they don't warranty it that long either.

12. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Member

There is a video to watch on you tube that talks about and shows how to properly service these tranny's . Closed tyranny's still have air vents thus your fluid will eventually get dirty . I was curious and called two places about this . A local transmission guy said get it serviced one a year . The one ford dealer told me you dont service them . LOL. That was a surprise coming from a dealership . The independent transmission shop , his answer didnt surprise me at all ,they want that money . We have a very good dependable shop in our neighborhood I will talk to when I reach 100,000 . My 07 is at 90,100. I will do the transfer case and the differentials and I have all the erls I need . I even have a six pack in the fridge for the celebration of new erl. LOL.