Trailer Brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacy Waldrep

Reaction score
I just bought a camper that I want to tow with my 2004 Sport Trac. It has trailer brakes on it. What exactly do I need to get my truck to work with that? Is my truck already wired to hook something up or do I have to do special wiring? Any help or info would be appreciated.

You will need a trailer brake controller. Any RV shop can install one or if you have a regular shop ask them if they've done it before.

I normally do all my own work. I hate paying someone else labor. I'm just wondering if our Tracs are wired to except what I need or do I need an adapter or am I going to have to splice into wires to hook up the controller. Has anybody does this themselves on their Trac?

Yes, you will have to splice into several wires, and install a 7-pin plug under the back bumper. I let a local RV dealer do it, as it was more than I wanted to tackle. That was a while ago though, but I think it was something like $300, including a Prodigy2 brake controller.

Your Trac had an adapter in a plastic bag in the glove box when new. You just wire the controller to the adapter and plug it in.

Your owner's manual can be a very good friend too.

Stacy has a Gen 1, which do not come with a trailer brake plug or adapter, or even a hitch. The 7 pin plug and brake adapter only came on Gen 2 Tracs IF they are equipped with the optional Class IV hitch. Gen 1 Tracs and Gen 2's with the standard Class II hitch only have a 4 pin plug for trailer lights but no brake hookup. I've owned both.

you'll need to wire for a controller- I grabbed the CHMSL feed from the fuse panel to activate the controller, tapped into reverse lights out back for trailer backup, ran 12ga wire from front for +12V for trailer battery charge (fused), used the factory flat-4 junction under the truck out back for turn/brake/tail, a 12ga ground wire, and another 12ga wire from controller to trailer brakes. all of this to the 7-pin connector. use the sealed type of trailer connector, and use heat-shrink with adhesive inside to seal all of the connections...

Latest posts