Traded the ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
Well, I have dreaded this post since about 3pm yesterday, but here it goes. I have traded my ST in for a Toyota.

As some of you may remember, a few months ago, we wanted to buy a big offshore boat and debated whether the ST was "up to snuff" to pull it. We decided it wasn't fair to expect the ST to do that and ultimately we needed a bigger truck to handle the job. In that we began our search. Our main requirements were -

*the ability to tow over 10K (for the ability to get as big of a boat as we could afford)

*bucket seats

*power rear window

*affordable payments so that we could add the boat payments monthly and still be "okay"

We looked at the Nissan Titan, Chevy/GMC 2500HD, F250, and the Toyota Tundra. By process of elimination, we got that choice down to the F250 and the Tundra. Both were nice and suited our needs perfectly, but we just couldn't get the exorbitant cost of the F250's to fit. We found that it costs around 10k+ more to get an F250 than a Tundra with equivalent amenities. Add in fuel costs (the F250 gets about 1-2mpg less realistically) and the numbers just didn't add up.

When we went to many Toyota dealers to find just the right truck, and found they were surprisingly willing to deal. We ended up getting a great deal on a Tundra. It's Nautical Blue, has a 5.7L V8. It's 4x4 with the TRD package (Billstien shocks and a seriously beefed up suspension) and tow package (heavy duty engine additions, and can tow 10,300 lbs). It's got the SR5 package which includes bucket seats, dual climate control, active Sync system, and the rear power window. To seal the deal we got them to add on the running boards and a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty. We got it all for just a smidge over 30K when it was all said and done. We are actually quite pleased.

I will be honest, I did shed a tear driving away from my ST. It's been a great vehicle and I will always have fond memories of it. We just reached a point where we needed something more.

I sincerely hope you all will understand our decision and keep the public flogging to a minimum. :)

And I also hope that you'll be okay with me sticking around, even though I'm now a blood-traitor.

Here's a quick picture I snapped with my cell phone yesterday before the rain:

[Broken External Image]:

You are aware the F-150 would tow that weight, plus more? A F-250 was too much truck for your aplication. A Tundra is only a 1/2 ton truck, the same with the Nissan.

The F-150 would have been a better deal, add in X-Plan and it would have been a grand slam.

Be careful about those tailgates on the Tundra. They tend to be on the weak side.

Tom

Yeah, we actually did look at the beefed up F150's as well, and the cost to add on all the extras was still more, even with an x-plan pin in consideration. Honestly, we really wanted to try and get dual climate control, which only comes in a Lariat package with an F150, which puts it in the realm of high 30's, tack on extra towing packing and the slight mpg difference and we just couldn't do it.

We don't regret anything, and it's definitely a nice set up we got. :D

I just hope that if you're in the area, Tom, that you and Theresa will still drop by and go fishing with us sometime. And I do mean that. Heck, maybe by then we'll have a sweet offshore boat and we can head out for some mahi or wahoo. :cool:

I just hope that if you're in the area, Tom, that you and Theresa will still drop by and go fishing with us sometime. And I do mean that. Heck, maybe by then we'll have a sweet offshore boat and we can head out for some mahi or wahoo.

Of course we will come visit. We are thinking about our winter vacation and maybe Florida is the place to go. Key West to Visit Lasik1 and the main land to visit you. Of course, on the way down, we could visit LaRue and Rose.

We will see.

Tom

:D We still love ya..... Heck Jenn,,, we sold our ST 3 yrs ago and are still hanging around...

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an old advertisement that stated " Don't you buy no ugly truck". You must not have seen it!:lol: Seriously, I've had Toyota's and Nissan's, both good trucks back then. Don't know anything about these new ones ......................'cept it's just too fugly for me! Good luck with it and hope you enjoy!:cool:

Bottom line, you need to be happy.

If the Toyota does what you need and you are happy, then great. If you are not happy or the truck does not do what you want, then you have concerns.

You needed to do what was right for your situation. I think you will be happy with the Toyota and find they build a pretty good product...

Good luck with the purchase! An 09 F150 would have been my choice, but you can't ignore the grunt of the Yota's 5.7. I like the Ram too, but the towing capacity is definitely too low for what you needed.

its a nice truck, not my choice, but... its nice, my neighbor has one, ive never seen it dirty lol hahaha

hasnt had any problems with it since ive known him.

Tom & Theresa, it is now considered an annual "MUST" visit LaRue and Rose and head out to Liberty for our beer sampling lunch.:D:banana:

I would have definetly recommended the F-150. My dad just picked up a Certified Pre Owned 08 Lariat, w/ Navigation, backup sensors, dual climate, the works. I think it only had like 21K miles on it, for like 25Grand. Anyway congrats on the new truck. Those things are definatley beasts.

good luck with the new truck, friend of mine at work bought

the extra cab version with 8ft bed.

that damn truck is humongous and hangs about 6 inches over

a standard parking spot lines.

Thanks for the support everyone. As mentioned earlier, we are actually very pleased overall. The Tundra is definitely a beast, and the engine growl is enough to make me grin uncontrollably.

We have a few things in mind for the coming months, like wet okole seat covers and then we want to do a spray-in bedliner. Once those two things are done, the truck will be perfect.

My only hope is that it holds up as well, and is as reliable as my ST was. :D

On a side note, we've already given it a nickname. Since it's nautical blue, and has the TRD package, we call it the "Naughty Turd" :lol:

:lol:

Having driven a Toyota Sequoia as a rental recently I can only say that it was the biggest, most comfortable SUV I have ever driven. I've driven as-big, but not as comfortably or as nicely styled. It handled well. I've been told the crew-cab Tundra rides and handles comparably.

Enjoy.

Ford will continue to get it's lunch eaten by Toyota and other import makers that sell to those that don't simply "Buy American" because their dad did or because they have some misplaced sense of obligation to do so. That latter market is getting smaller and smaller.

TJR

Looks familiar!!!

[Broken External Image]::cool:

I have averaged 16.8 mpg since owning the truck.... so the mileage is on par with what I got in my ST. You are going to love the room of the full size truck, but hate it when you have to park. The 5.7 ROCKS!!!

One word of caution, the paint is VERY thin.... be careful rubbing up against the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford will continue to get it's lunch eaten by Toyota and other import makers that sell to those that don't simply "Buy American" because their dad did or because they have some misplaced sense of obligation to do so. That latter market is getting smaller and smaller.

Not sure how this "Buy American" stuff makes sense, since multinational Ford Motor Company assembles some of its F-150s in Cuautitlan, Mexico, and Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. assembles all of its Tundras in San Antonio, Texas.

Latest posts