Toyota Rav 4 vs Honda CRV and any others

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
My wife is looking for a new car and it most likely won't be a Government Motors like I have bought for years. I would like some experiences with Toyota Rav 4 vs Honda CRV and any others in the same range. Looking for a 4WD, 4 door, automatic V6 with factory installed remote start and heated seats if possible. Any views, experiences with these and other comparable models is appreciated. BTW, she wants to haul our English Mastiff to the vets every once in a while too...LOL!

'07 ST

My mechanic recommended the Hyuandi Santa Fe back when I was looking for something similar. He said they're never in his shop - very reliable.

I recommend the Hyundai Santa Fe with 4 cylinder engine. It's got the power and room advantage over the CR-V and RAV4. Extremely easy to service, and it's got a 10 yr/100K powertrain warranty. Not sure what equivalent model KIA has, but you could look. The South Koreans are making some really impressive cars.

My wife has a Kia Sorento(same as Santa Fe) and we have had it for almost 3 years as it is a 2011 bought in 2010 and has a third row for kids only. We got the 4cyl 6 spd auto tranny and we average 22-28 mpg and have zero issues. Built in USA too!

My son-in-law has an '09 Escape v6 that is doing very well. He is getting close to 50k on it and no issues at all. Has been much more reliable than his old Xterra was!! Also my Aunt has an '08 Escape 4x4 V6 that is doing very well.

I Love the Sante Fe... We have 3 in our family, and besides 1 recall on all 3, they have never broke down, and with regular maintenance they are all over 100K miles..... The only thing is they do eat brake pads.... But that could be the driving style too !!!

If going Ford remember I can get you Xplans if you cant...

And English mastiffs ROCK !! My wife and her parents bread and showed them for years, They have many champions in the family !!

Good luck !!!

Todd Z

If I was looking at that class today. Hyuandai or Kia, will get my $$. Even though Im a ford guy....

I haven't posted here in a while...We have a 2010 CR-V AWD, it's fuel efficient and comfortable but that's about it. It only comes in 4 cylinder and it is pretty anemic. The factory Bridgestone tires didn't last 2 years. Other than that no problems...

I replaced an engine on a 2004 CR-V due to a failed cam and con rod at 122,000 KMs. It wasn't at all fun to work on, one of the top 5 SOB engines I've had to change out yet.

The 2010 I drove was nice, much quieter than the one we did the engine on, still lacks power though.

Maybe the 185 hp out of the new design will help?

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hyundai and Kias aren't as well built as the Toyotas and Hondas. I don't own any of these vehicles but I work on all of them and I am always surprised how fast the Hyundais and Kias fall apart vs the other brands out there. Sure they have come ALONG way but they still have along ways to go

A 10 year warranty goes a long way, though.

I'd get the Escape, or Edge. We love our Edge.

It's a little larger than you're looking for, but we have a 2006 Honda Pilot we've been thrilled with. It's approaching 100K and we've had zero problems.

Well, my wife ordered a 2013 Rav 4 Limited AWD. Really nice looking and riding car. It's supposed to be in by the end of the month. I let her pick what she wanted and dicker with the salesman. She even called him after we got home a told him the deal wasn't good enough and got other concessions from him and a little money off the price to boot...LOL! My first riceburner....no more Government Motors for me.

I have owned both Toyota and Honda vehicles, and I must agree that they build quality vehicles with strong reliably statistics.

I bought my 1990 Honda Accord new and owned it for 22 years. I bought my 2002 used from a friend with 145K miles going on 5 years ago and I still own it and drive it almost daily. I can't complain about the reliability of either vehicle.

As for thy Hyundai...It's pretty hard to beat their 100K mile drivetrain warranty. My daughter owns a Hyundai and they even fixed her brakes after they were damaged by her running over something in the road. But I also must say that the warranty service you get is largely dependent upon the customer service of the dealership....some are definitely better than others but I think most foreign dealerships are better than most American dealerships when it comes to customer service.

....Rich

Latest posts