Towing on a 2004 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry Moss

Reaction score
Hello Peeps

Comng to the board again to get your advice/input......I am new to towing, I have an older pop up camper, small Coleman Pioneer Model. Installed a Curt hitch on my ST and purchased a ball with a 2" drop. When my truck is not packed up seems like I have a level trailer, but when I pack up my gear in the bed and load in my wife and kids my truck drops in the rear and when I connect the trailer it seems too low, almost as if the 2" ball drop is too much. Smeone told me I needed the 2" drop but Im thinkng I almost one that doesnt have a drop in it. Anyone have exprience with this? All advice is welcome :)

Use whatever hitch keeps the trailer level or slightly down with the load you will have in the ST and the trailer. Just don't have the hitch too high, as that will lighten the tongue load, and possibly cause some sway...

I dont know if Warrior shackles would make a difference in keeping your rearend up< a lot of members have installed them on their leaf springs. Im sure someone will comment on that idea. Enjoy your summer holidays!!! :driving:

I pull a 6x12 enclosed trailer with an atv and another piece of equipment behind my '02. I had to flip the 2" drop hitch over so it's a 2" rise, but my trailer probably sits higher than a pop-up. My open utility trailer sits more comparable to your pop-up even after I put taller tires on it, but I use a 2" drop with it. It won't cost anything to try flipping the hitch over. I also have air shocks on my truck. They were only about $65 for both shocks, and a whole lot easier to install than shackles.

I forget the exact name but I have the Monroe shocks with the coils over the shock. Prevents the sag with light loads. I tow a utility trailer @3000# and a small popup no problem

MoSsMaN, do you like the hitch you bought? I also have an 04 and am just starting to shop around for one. Now I don't know alot about tow hitches etc so I'm gonna ask this question. are all tow hitches hidden? That is what I am looking or a Hidden hitch set up.

You should be able to "flip" your 2' drop mount and it will be flat of a small rise. You just have to unbolt the ball and nut and reverse them. Had to do it so my jet ski trailer would sit level as the tounge was high.

Hope that helps!

Bryan

Latest posts