Towing of my sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugsiegel

Reaction score
I need to tow my sport trac someplace and will put the front wheels on a tow trailer so I can pull it with my other truck.
Will I have any issues doing this with a 4wd sport trac?
I do have a "brown wire" button installed on this truck to disengage the 4wd system. Not sure if I will need the 4wd system deactivated but it always is anyway.
Can anyone think of a reason I can't do this?
Thanks in advance.

Pull the drive shaft. If it’s turning without the engine running , the transmission will lock up as it does not have a pump running from the rear of the transmission
When the drive shaft is spinning. It’s turning parts inside the transmission. And without fluids flowing around inside the transmission
It will heat up and lock up
Without question. PULL the rear drive shaft
Don’t risk it
I’m a retired master tech and have a class A DL and was a tow truck operator for 12 years and a tech for 38 years
My first time towing a semi truck, we thought we would be ok not pulling the shafts as we would only be pulling it a 1/2 mile. Well within a few hundred yards the trans locked up
Same thing will happen to your sport trac
Pull the drive shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the engine is running then the front pump in the transmission will be working and it should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 bolts - Tie drive shaft up....

Latest posts