Towing New Boat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Burnette

Reaction score
Hi gang,

First time poster here, I joined this forum as it seems a good active place for Sport Trac owners.

My question is related to a new boat we will be towing with our 2010 Sport Track 2WD V6.

This truck is equipped with a Class II hitch. I was checking out going to a Class III, but apparently would have to get it done through Ford and is certainly on the pricey side.

We had an old 1990 Sea Ray 180 Bow Rider, we bought a couple of years ago, and our Sport Trac handled it just fine without hardly breaking a sweat. I always towed with the OD off. No problem pulling it out of the water. Now that boat, had a dry weight listed as 2200 lbs, however it was old and rotting, and not telling what it weighed with the trailer and loaded...

We have just purchased a new boat, a Sea Ray 190 Sport. It really is about the same size boat, while it is a foot longer, most of that is just in the extended swim platform. However this boat lists a dry weight of 2600 lbs, loaded on trailer it lists as 3600 lbs. Then of course we will have fuel and gear in the boat...

My Sport Trac is rated for 3500 lbs with the factory equipped Class II hitch, and 5000 lbs with a Class III. No one else offers a Class III hitch for this model Sport Trac, other than Ford. 1300 bucks installed...

Now my thinking is, this thing handled that old boat just fine - and the trailer on the old boat, did not have brakes. The new boat trailer, has surge disc brakes. While loaded it may be over the rated 3500 for a Class II, I am thinking it is going to do just fine with it. Like I mentioned, there is no telling what that old boat actually weighed...

Just curious what others might think? I will be picking the new boat up on Saturday, and still couple months off before we can even think about going to the lake, I thought I would see how she handled on the trip home ( app 20 miles ), and play it by ear...

Thanks for any feedback gang,

I wouldn't worry about it. It's close enough. Just keep your extra crap out of the boat except for gas. On Gen 2's the crossmember is the same, only the hitch receiver is different. If you find a good welder you can cut off the Class II and weld on a Class III and not replace the whole crossmember. People have done that. I have seen a Gen 3 regular Explorer with a Class III added on under the Class II but it looked like hell and hung awful low.

+1 on a good welder fabbing a Class III/IV hitch and welding it on. You would feel much safer, and I can imagine liability may be a problem if you are towing over your rated Class I/II hitch should there be a bad accident.

Great, many thanks guys, I have had someone else suggest the same as well - I will check that out and see if I can find a good welder close by that is willing to do it.

Much appreciate the feedback!

They all have transmission coolers. If you are going to tow a heavy camping trailer frequently it would make sense to install a larger one but for yours the stocker will be fine. Just change the fluid every 30k or so.

If it was one trip a short distance I would be ok with it. But if you are hauling a boat that is probably 4,000 lbs or more actual weight on a hitch rated for 3,500 lbs I would be leery. Overstressed hitch, broken components, risk of crash or lawsuit, etc. You really open yourself up to liability if something goes wrong.

Getting a class 3 welded on is a good bet and where I am there are many good welders that would do it. If you are going to be doing any serious towing long distances in hot weather I would upgrade to a larger tranny cooler and do a flush and filter change.

Will do, many thanks for the advice Brett!

We are picking the new boat up later today, will be driving it about 25 miles or so to get it home . Boating season for us is still a few weeks out, during that time I will get the Class III welded on, and check out a larger cooler. Our main lake we go to is only about 20 miles away, but want to go to a couple other lakes at least once this year as well which are more like 70-80 miles away.

Hey gang,

Thought I would report back, we picked up the new boat this afternoon and just got home with it - the V6 Sport Trac handled it beautifully, man those disc surge brakes were nice - I am pretty sure it handled the new boat better even that it handled the old boat!

I will still get a class III receiver welded on before boating season gets here , just to be safe.