tow with bumper?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick F

Reaction score
Hey guys got a question, just bought a boat , so i go out and buy a universal hitch to haul it with. I then realize it wont work because its made to mount on the bottom of the frame. But notice the trac has a hole in the bumper for a ball and under the bumper looks a lot like it might be a factory hitch? would i be able to tow a 21' boat with dual axle trailor by the ball on the bumper? Thanks Nick

nick,

your bumper should hanlde around 3,000 pounds or less, but based on what you mentioned you own, I will not use the bumper, have a hitch installed or if you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to do it yourself,

good luck with your boat.

Jose

You could damage your bumper when backing up and making sharp turns. The trailer gets too close and sometimes dents the bumper. Use the bolt on and play it safe.

Nick! Congrats on the boat! I have a 21' Rinker and have the hidden hitch mounted below the bumper and pull it that way! Don't forget that boat weight plus trailer weight and fuel and etc in the boat will be more than 3000#'s! I pull it with no problems, have the overdrive off and cruise all over the place, use lots of gas though!

Good luck! :cool:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Class II (1.25 square tube) is 3,500 pounds - Class III (2" tube) is 6,500 (IIRC)

Huge leap of stupidity: My new ST is rate to pull 6,500 lbs - but they put a 3,500 lb hitch on it......and it's permanent

Fordaholic,

Did you get the Class III/IV towing option?

If not, you only have the class II hitch. The upgraded towing option has the 2" tube that is obviously rated at more than 3,500 lb. The upgrade also includes the 7 Pin Round trailer wiring connector that is common on larger trailers that are equipped with trailer brakes and accesories like interior trailer lights, electric jacks, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: