Took off the step bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh ryan 3

Reaction score
I finally got around to taking of the step bars on the sport trac, i really love how it looks.

I know ima sound crazy when i say this but im only saying it because i know im not the only one that feels that the truck just drives better and more agile with better acceleration with them off. anyone else "sense" that.? i know they have nothing todo with it, but for some reason it just feels "better"[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you interested in selling your step bars so my truck can continue to go slower but without ugly rusty bars? Mine have seen many salty road winters - have a 2001 ST.

, i was going to store them in the attic but they are in great condition and if i came upon a reasonable offer i would deff. sell to a fellow sport tracker. Would you want me to ship them to you right?

It's the same thing as any change to your truck...even washing mine makes it feel "better". It's probably still the same, or else I'm scrubbing off 200 lbs of dirt!

I took mine off because they were rusty and beat up. But even if they weren't I would've taken them off. It makes the truck look taller. I love how mine looks too.

those steps weigh maybe 50lbs each. I took mine off to sand and repaint them. I liked how mine looked for a little bit, then put the repainted black steps on and repainted all my trim :banana::love:

50lbs?! They're freaking hollow. If they weigh that much for so little, they have no excuse for not being more durable & having working rust protection. :banghead:

Mine are getting pretty fugly from rust, so I want to take them off & work on them, but I haven't gotten around to it as the step bars are so useful (though they don't look cool at all).

Also, the POR-15 website (which is what I was going to use for the rust) insists that POR-15 dies to sunlight exposure. Is that the case, I've never used the stuff.

I also have phenomenally bad luck with all the sworn miracle products. JB Weld failed me on first use, and PB Blaster failed to free my rusted-stuck top front shock nut, and I put so much on that if that nut had to breathe it would have long drowned. :cry:

Take em off and feel how heavy they are KL. Im not a scale by anymeans, but keep n mind they are big metal steps, hollow or not they are heavy. Now i could be off 10lbs or so, Im only a human being :sad:

Mine were really rusty, so i decided one random morning to get work done. It took maybe 40 minutes to take em off. I didnt use pb blaster or anything either.

Latest posts