Tonneau(sp?) Covers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad tetzloff

Reaction score
Greetings all!

I have a question about Tonneau covers and sport tracs, what is the general consensus about what type to get? I'm just overwhelmed at ALL the OPTIONS I've found online, hard one piece, flip, roll, vinyl stretched, etc. What are drawbacks you all have found, should I just go with the OEM 2-piece flip?

Thanks in advance for your help!

(I'm sure I'll be posting many other questions)

FYI this is my first Sport Trac (2007) after '91 and '99 Explorers

vinyl ones don't lock, can start to sag, fade, etc over time, especially the cheaper ones. I have a fiberglass one on my 02, it locks, is watertight, etc., but gets inthe way at times based on what I am trying to haul/carry in the bed. Extang makes a great vinyl cover, I have had two on previous trucks, and would recommend them highly. I don't have any experience with the OE one from ford as mine is aftermarket, and it was on the ST when i bought in 06.

I have the OEM tonneau cover and very pleased with it. The only drawback to me is that it's not painted to match the vehicle but that's not a big deal. I'm not a fan of the soft or stretch type covers but the best looking cover is the ARE when it's painted to match. There are a couple of members on here with them on their 2007's and they look really nice.

Congrats on the Trac,

i have been in limbo for over a year. For the past 10 months, i installed an "Advanced" cover. This cover is also a two piece but much lighter than OEM. (at least from GEN1 Tracs, not sure about 07 & up). I love the fact that i can flip up the cover easily, but its not as heavy duty as the OEM version. It has a lower clearance than OEM version.

I purchased the Advanced cover for $150 and think its great for the price, but if i had the chance to pick up the OEM cover, i would. I would also install the lift levers to make things easier.

IMHO, its all about the looks with functionality a close second. Depending on what you use the Trac for, will help you determine one piece or two. I do the "neighbor needs a pickup" work so for me having a two piece that i can easily remove no matter where i am was the only way to go. I think the one piece looks awesome, but it would be more of a burden for what i use my Trac for.

good luck with your choice.

Depends what you need the bed for. Hard covers are pretty weathertight but a hassle to remove.

I need the whole bed open frequently to haul grass, dirt, ladders, etc. so I have a vinyl cover from Tonneau Masters that I like. Roll it up, pop the bows out, and I'm ready to go. It seals out the weather good enough. Main downside to vinyl covers is that if it gets cold where you live, they shrink and are a PITA to snap closed in the winter. But in the winter I need to open the bed to haul my snowblower.....

I too have an '07 with the OEM cover installed....no problems, no leaks...mine is the two way flip....locks front and back.

They say it takes two people to lift off and install, but I have been able to do it myself without much of a strain. (I don't remove it very often)

To protect it.......I use 303 Aerospace as well on the tires, dash and leather seats.

OEM seems to be the strongest, it is also the heaviest. Locks and latches on both sides front and back so its very secure. Depends on what you plan on doing with your trac.

I had the OEM cover on my '07 and while it is a good cover, I preferred to have one that was easier to negotiate and deal with but strong enough to support weight for getting on if needed. I sold the OEM cover and got an Undercover cover like I had on my Ranger. It is solid length, weather resistant, and light enough to take on and off by yourself. The OEM worked well, but I like the look and features of the Undercover better.

I have OEM and like it. It is very versatile and with either a divider or bed extender it gives a short compartment. I love the looks of the covers that are painted to match, but they looked like they would be difficult for one person to take off and could scratch too easy when removing. The OEM is not easy for one person to take off, but it is not hard. Just have to muscle up a little. Cost can be a consideration with OEM.

I'd like to have the flexibility to remove it fairly easily, I talked to the dealer and the OEM flip lists for over a grand (he thought he could get it down to 1k).

Does anyone have experience with roll up covers?

http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C9/

Thanks for all the replies!

I've had an Advance tonneau on my '01 for just under 5 years now and love it. It's extremely light (easliy removed by 1 person), watertight even in tropical storms and car washes, and built solidly (though you can't stand on it).

Recently, due to the bolts snapping off in the bracket, I drilled holes so that it's now held on with simple "safety pins" instead of bolts. It's easier to take on/off than ever. (Pic below)

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts